It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

hayfarmer HB User
Re: Low tesrosteron/pituitary adenoma

I also suggest a full iron panel (iron, ferritin, TIBC, saturation %) especially since your ferritin was high. Hemochromatosis (the most common genetic disorder) can effect the pituitary by loading excess iron there which can be viewed at times in an MRI. I don't know but it's possible the radiologist could mistake the iron loading for a pituitary tumor. This is also a known cause of hypo-gonadism (low T due to low LH).

Last edited by hayfarmer; 03-02-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

Well my ferritin was not high at all , it is 61 (22-322) so i consider low , what do you think ?. I would ask my neuro to perform one more MRI to be more certain about tumor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayfarmer View Post
I also suggest a full iron panel (iron, ferritin, TIBC, saturation %) especially since your ferritin was high. Hemochromatosis (the most common genetic disorder) can effect the pituitary by loading excess iron there which can be viewed at times in an MRI. I don't know but it's possible the radiologist could mistake the iron loading for a pituitary tumor. This is also a known cause of hypo-gonadism (low T due to low LH).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hayfarmer,

His ferritin was 13% of normal range. This is LOW normal range. Where do you get high from? Do you have a different range limit you are going by? I am not as familiar with what is optimal for males as females and as a result I am curious as to where you got your information.

Adenomas and mineral build up in the body show up as glow spots. It is hard to differentiate which is the case. You are right, that if there was a region of iron loading in the pituitary it could have been mistaken for an adenoma.

Rohit,

Given the low ferritin it wouldn't hurt to add a full iron panel to make sure that there isn't and imbalance in iron distribution.

As a scientist we believe in double checks and triple checks if we can not repeat something 3 times it is most likely the result of error. Getting a second MRI or Ct is a wise choice.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 03-03-2009 at 06:16 AM.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #19
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

I want to tell you guys the outcome of my UCSF Pituitary department visit.
The doctor was quite patient in answering my questions, i tried to ask as many questions as i can.
He was also not very clear with MRI as other neuro-surgeon was, however he said there is surely a tumor there but we need to do Dynamic Enhanced MRI to get clear picture.
I made my own strategy to go against surgery just to see how the doctor reacts as for me surgery is the benefit for surgeon that way he makes money more as compare to NO surgery .

According to him prolactin 11 in just 28 days w/o bromocriptine (from <0.2 to 11) went up up quite high and if don't take medicine for another month it will surely above 16 which is in men consider prolactinoma.

He was very incline towards surgery , his argument was based on my age and side effects to bear for life time because of drugs .
According to UCSF , they have best surgeon in Pituitary in whole world . He is referring Dr Sandeep Kunvar , according to him this guy perform atleast 2 surgeries in pituitary every week and has been doing it for some years i believe 7 years or more , that means atleast 800 surgeries.

second option is to use Dostinex which is another drug use in this kind and has less side effects as compare to bromocriptine but dostinex has some studies behind on damaging heart , any news there ?

Do you guys have any input or any word you heard from some one about this surgeon ?. He is also in PNA .

Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I would go for the dynamic enhanced scan as recommended. Do not rule out surgery until after the scan has been taken. Then arrange to meet Sandeep Kunvar and ask his opinion. Kunvar does have a good reputation. You can ask about his complication rate and confidence levels for this type of surgery.

As I said I am not familiar with the male limits, but I have a friend that is a neurologist he is MD/Ph.D and does more research, but the limits and information your quoted sound on the up and up. If surgery can reverse this, IMPO it is probably worth it. I would get that second scan first to be sure though.

MG

Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

I just came back from Dynamic MRI , they gave me CD not report yet. Can you or anyone tell me where to look for this adenoma if i have one in CD. If you like i can do webex with you so you can my CD and then point out where to look for tumor. It looks good to me though :-)

Here is what in report , it seems like no tumor but still want to run by the same wording as what in report to you.

"PROMINENT HIGH SIGNAL WITHIN THE POSTERIOR ASPECT OF THE PITUITARY GLAND.WHICH LIKELY REPRESENTS THE POSTERIOR LOBE OF THE PITUITARY GLAND.NO DEFINITE LEISON IS IDENTIFIED. HOWEVER IT IS CONCEIVABLE THAT THIS POSSIBLY COULD REPRESENTS A SMAL PITUITARY LEISON.SUCH ASA HEMORRHAGIC MICROADENOMA OR HEMORRHAGIC/PROTEINACEOUS RATHKE CLEFT CYST.
RECOMMEND FURTHER EVALUATION WITH SPECIALIZED 3-D T2 CUBE IMAGING."

Please advice.

Last edited by Rohit456; 03-05-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

I can tell you what a tumor would look like. It would look like a BRIGHT white shining spot. If your scan is free of these then the initial anomaly was due to some other feature. The Radiologist is speculating that bleeding in the pituitary at the time of the other scan caused the anomaly seen as a tumor. SO this was a good scan. ALWAYS get a second opinion.

MG

Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #23
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

Okay so now if there is no tumor , what is next . Why did my proactin slightly elevated , why my testosterone is low then ?. . Even i don't have tumor , can i still have pituitary disorder ?.
Is there any way to restart my pituitary gland function ?. Any restart protocol approach ?. One side i am happy that there is no tumor but other side now i am puzzled then what could be reason for my low testosterone ?.
PLease advise.

MG[/QUOTE]

Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whoa! Okay you have reached the limit of my comfortable knowledge of analysis and care.. I will hazard some rough recommendations. I say you have to trust the neuro on this though.

I can also say that YES you may have mild hyper-pituitarism. They should check your hypothalamus output to your pituitary gland to make sure you do not have some weird communication error going on. Bleeding in the pituitary gland due to impact damage or anemia and other issues can take a while to recover as well.

How do you reset a pituitry gland. Not sure. I would assume you suppress it then let it recover. They did this already though.

You need complete adrenal hormone testing. Have you had an ACTH stimulation test? You may have an issue in your adrenal glands ability to synthesize testosterone. This could be poor communication between hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenals or damage to the actual adrenals.

You have Hashimoto's one autoimmune thyroid issue correct? Then others are probable. The antibodies we can make to kill off our adrenals are ACA adrenal cortex antibodies. You might want to ask for that test as well. I wish I had an answer for you, but I can only give you more questions.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 03-06-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #25
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

I just got result of my IGF-Binding protein 1 =2.1 (Fasting=10-150,Randon 0-40). This seems to be pretty low , what do you think ?. Do i need any GH therapy which can improve my level w/o comprimising my fertility and also increase my muscles strength.
My estrogen is is also 39 ((0-53), should it be below 25 to maintain my Estrogen and Testosterone level, my last test show total testosterone is 216 (241-837).. Should i start 50mg of zince twice a day to drop down my estrogen level which eventually maintain ratio.
I just schedule Endronologist on Thurday to discuss my course of action to quicklt increase my testosterone and IGF-1 level.
Please suggest any plan you may think can help discuss with doctor

Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think you have some estrogen dominance going on that you need to talk to that Endo about. Also getting the IGF up is a must as well. I am not sure if GH will do what you need I would have to look into the mechanism of the GH cycle. I have not looked into that before. I do think you should get a glucose tolerance test with IGF and insulin reaction profile as well. The low IGF and resultant low insulin can explain many muscle issues.

MG

Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

How would i bring my IGF level UP , do we have natural way to do it . I am loosing hope day by day , do you think pituitary is responsible for all these things happening to me or there could be something else going on.

I was reading Testosterone syndrome by Eugene Shippen , she mention in one of her chapter to use Zinic 50mg twice /day, to maintain Estrogen and testosterone ratio, she also mention above 30 in men consider high.
The GH is pretty sensitive one , so i am curious if other hormones regulate by pituitary started to work , will my GH will increase too ?. First i am not sure is it really down.
Can you do your GH cycle the one you mention in your last post to see where i stand.

My Glucose level and AIc is also fine , so do i need some more test to be sure. Please help me i am loosing hope day by day, please help me sort out course of action which i can discuss with doctor as it seems like doctors are not taking it very seriously.

Last edited by Rohit456; 03-08-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Rohit,
Your statement about "doctors not taking it seriously" seemed to strike a chord.
Wanted to only chime in and say.. keep the faith and don't let that add more anxiety..
The fact there are so many of us here on this board is evidence to the feeling of isolation so many of us have felt wrt the doctors.
Keep trying and pursuing more doctors and better ones.
It has taken me over 1 year to get used to the fact that NO DOCTOR "cares" about my health and to not let that hurt me. They are just not competent enough so don't take it personally....

Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #29
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

My doctor wants to start HCG or clomid , HCG 2500IU for 3 days in a week or clomid 12.5mg /day. Can anyone suggest which one will have better results and give result faster. He thinks we need jump start leydig cells in my testes as seems like an issue with Hpothylmus /pituitary which are not sending pulse signals.. Which probably called GnRH..
Please share your stories of both clomid and HCG..

Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #30
(male)

Rohit456 HB User

mkgbrook, please reply and others also reply .
My estrogen is 39
Tota testosterone is 211
which seems to me 1:6 ratio of estrogen to testosterone , is this look normal ?. I read it should be less then 25 and maintain 1:20 ratio . that means my testosterone has to go up for about 250 points and lower my estrogen to 25 . Should i take zinic 50mg /day along with HCG and clomid.
Clomid my doctor prescribed 12.5mg/day
for HCG my another doctor wants to add
2500IU for 3 days /week for 6 weeks . Which for me look higher and make me desensitize . Have any one used clomid and HCG together ?

Reply Reply