It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
(male)

SkipperH HB User
MRI for Pituitary gland

I'm having an MRI tomorrow for a suspected pituitary gland problem. I had an MRI about 5 years ago for a dizziness / balance problem. Question: if there was a problem with the Pituitary gland back in 2005 would the brain MRI have picked it up or does the Endocrinologist order a set of special MRI scans just for the Pituitary Gland?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: MRI for Pituitary gland

That's a good question. I've had numerous brain MRIs and my understanding is that the radiologist looks for any abnormalities throughout the whole brain, including the pituitary. I would think that if you had an adenoma of the pituitary back in 2005 it would have showed up then. But that was nearly 5 years ago and things can change in that period of time.

I was also told by my neurologist that there are better and worse MRIs. The open MRIs are far less sensitive than the closed ones. There is also a contrast dye (gadolinium) that can be injected to provide a much more detailed picture. But you should not use gadolinium if you have any kidney disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I had an MRI last year for my pituitary gland. Nothing showed up, but my dr. said I still probably had a sluggish pituitary gland since my hormones were always low. So just because nothing shows up, doesn't mean there's not a problem.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Yeah, definitly have issues with labs low testosterone and under active Thyroid.

Closed Thread