It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

Lexmom2011 HB User
Question MRI of Pituitary - how to read it?

I just had an MRI of my Pituitary and my follow up appointment if not for 2 weeks. Does anyone know how to read it?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
(male)

KCA82 HB User
Re: MRI of Pituitary - how to read it?

Can you post the images?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
(male)

mravg HB User

I have had 4 pituitary MRI scans and it is hard to read the results.
The last one I had, I got a CD with the images and still you need a Doctor to really be sure.
If you are worried about a tumor most often they are slow growing and most often not malignant. In my case first test showed a very small something that is no longer there but the pituitary is not functioning correctly. Some times I wish they would find a tumor so they would know how to treat it.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
(female)

Orana45 HB User

Don't even bother trying to read an MRI if you are not a doctor. I had a prolactinoma diagnosed at age 26 and it went into spontaneous remission when I was 42. The MRI's do not show these tumours very clearly because they are quite small in the scheme of things, but they can pack quite a punch with their symptoms. My symptoms at diagnosis were hot flushes that lasted virtually all day, headaches that were more like migraines, fine hair all over my body and various other minor symptoms. My prolactin reading was 8000 (taken in Australia) when the normal range is 150- 500. Initially I was taking bromocriptine twice a day for about 5 years (including during my pregnancy). My new endocrinologist put me on Cabergoline once a week and I stayed on that until my remission 3 years ago. The drugs worked perfectly for me. They restored my fertility and took away all my symptoms. Bromocriptine is rough when you first go on it. You will be nauseous for a fortnight and maybe a bit dizzy, but after that, it's really easy to tolerate. I have read about people in the media who have become sex and gambling addicts on Cabergoline, but I did not have a single alteration in personality on this drug. I loved it! Much better than bromocriptine. My son is now 17 and I took bromocriptine throughout my pregnancy (I didn't have a choice) as I fell pregnant within 2 months of taking the drug. Pituitary tumours are very treatable and are almost always benign.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
(female)

earthly59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexmom2011 View Post
I just had an MRI of my Pituitary and my follow up appointment if not for 2 weeks. Does anyone know how to read it?
I just had mine read. You really need to have the doctor read it.
There are other things they look at in the brain besides the pituitary
which is very important.
However, you can sign a release at the hospital to get a written report.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

MothrConfssr HB User

I know the waiting is the hardest part, but DEFINITELY just hang in there and wait for your appointment to have the doctor do the reading. Additionally, I have to suggest that you consider a 2nd opinion if something IS found. Paricularly if surgery is the suggested treatment.

In my own case, my previous doctor had diagnosed a "pituitary tumor", but ultimately was found to be a "pituitary cyst", very similar but totally different treatment options (for instance, you cannot have radiation on a cyst).

And in all honesty, even with the doctor sitting there in front of me pointing out my cyst and various other structures on the screen in front of us, it was STILL very difficult to make anything suspicious out on the images. It truly requires a doctor's eyes to interpret correctly. Good luck!

Closed Thread