It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

sillygal HB Usersillygal HB User
Hypopituitarism/Empty Sella

Hello-
I just started seeing a new endocrinologist who thinks i have Secondary Hypothyroidism/Hypopituitarism. He came to this conclusion based on my TSH and free Ts always being low normal, along with a MRI that showed that I have Empty Sella Syndrome. However, when I had the MRI done in the ER, they never mentioned the empty sella to me? I took that to mean it doesn't affect one's health?

Is my doctor right in thinking the Empty Sella nudges me into the Pituitary area versus primary hypothyroidism (this is what my 1st doctor diagnosed me as). I also was wondering what type of tests my doctor should order to rule out (or in) the chance of a pituitary problem. I've been struggling with many symptoms the last year that everyone I've seen agrees are "hormonally based" yet no seems to agree what kind of hormones. Thanks in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to sillygal:
reves777 (01-31-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
(male)

pthomas HB User
Re: Hypopituitarism/Empty Sella

I had an MRI 10 years ago (looking for MS) and the radiologist saw a partially empty sella and said it was generally of no significance and there was no MS. Had a recent MRI of the pituitary and the readiologist said it was fine but the Endocronologist saw the partially empty sella.

You should probably have a full pituitary workup plus the other hormones such as Testosterone, Estrogen, Cortisol, and Thyroid. Also, there are tests to show if the pituitary is sending the right signal to the gland such as TSH for thyroid.

It is possible that your thyroid is also not working fully do to its own problem.

Good luck.

Last edited by pthomas; 01-25-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

Vlwilson HB User
Re: Hypopituitarism/Empty Sella

I was diagnosed with hypopituitaryism 5 years ago. My endocrinologist did a arginine stimulation test to check my pituitary. When I tested positive I also had MRI to rule out pituitary tumor.
I take HGH, Thyroid, hydrocortisone, testosterone, progesterone and estradiol.

Reply Reply