It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2004, 09:10 AM   #1

Lynnim HB User
Anyone else exposed to polio as a fetus having symptoms now?

Hello,

My mother was pregnant with me when she had polio. She has been suffering with post polio syndrome since the 1980s. I have been suffering with many of the same symptoms for over 10 years and am trying to find out if there are others with the same situation or, perhaps, women who were pregnant when they contracted polio and now that child has post polio symptoms.

It was been said that I would have a deformity and that "no babies were born with birth defects from polio", however, if a baby were already fully formed and taking into account that the virus affected the brain, isn't it possible that it did not show up in those babies but is now showing up in them as adult

I would like to find out if anyone else knows of someone with a similar situation.

Thanks, Lynn

Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
(female)

bjanes HB User
Re: Anyone else exposed to polio as a fetus having symptoms now?

Hi Lynne
I do not have an answer to your question. My mother contracted Polio at age 16 and spent 18 months in an iron lung. She had me when she was twenty.
Her symptoms started when she was about 53 and she is now 66 and although still somewhat mobile, she is fading very fast (to me). I started having symptoms very similar to hers about 5 years ago and after Dr's. visits with still no dx, I approached him on the PPS. He said that that sort of illness was not genetic. I'm still in search for a dx for my problems but can't help thinking that 20 years ago they didn't even know the syndrome existed.........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Polio is a virus, so PPS could only happen if you actually had polio. I can see though, how being exposed to polio as a fetus could cause problems. There are other diseases, like fifth disease, and rubella, that while the baby doesnt' have the disease, they have problems from the mother havign the disease.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

This is an old thread, but here goes! This is about the bjane's doctor's comment that polio isn't genetic.

Her mother had polio as a young woman and later learned about post polio. It seems like a possibility that the hiding virus could perhaps have affected her mother's eggs so that children born later could be affected. This is not a genetic change, just an opportunistic virus finding a place to hide while dormant. As it became active in it's original host, bjane's mother, now it's active in Jane. Maybe?

I'm no doctor, but it seems a bit reasonable to me. Hope it's not so.

Wishing you all well - Barbara

Closed Thread