It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

akjoha HB User
polio survivor

I was suprised to come upon this board , I do post on other topics in other threads however.
I some how got Infantile Paralysis as they called it back then in 1931. I believe there was an epidemic at that time, I lived in a small town in Penna. and was the only one who was striken. My little playmate was not even tou ched by it.to this day I do not know how I was infected! Have read where alot in New Jersy were striken from swimming pool so was contaminated water I assume. I never swam in any pools but may have drank from old bottles ect, probably will never know as all old records I have no idea where they might be. The March of Dimes seemed very interested in all cases then so they may have them for all I know.
I was hospitalized and can remember being told to walk away from the Dr so he could observe .I remember being in the hospital in a crib away from the others and really messing the bed alot. nurses would make me stand and hold onto the bed which I could hardly do , while they changed the sheets.
My Mother carried me from the hospital and she was told I would never walk again.She never gave up! she used the Sister Kenny method of massage , rubbing alchol on my legs ect. She would put a penny on the end of a long dining room table and tell me to walk and get the penny which I would, dragging myself by holding on to the table edge.
I remember when the feeling started coming back into my legs, I would scream from the pain and cramps in my legs.The first walking was done stiff legged I couldnt bend my knees; my sister would holler at me bend your kness when ever I went with her.I did walk again, there were limits to somethings whichI never noticed then, also my right leg is my weakes it turns out at the ankle and my ankles will turn if I step on a twig, down I go.
I also suffered the most painful migraine headaches during school years and on. A friend told me the virus affects the brain stem.
Today at 72, I suffer with high BP that cant seem to be controled, walking is difficult and I havent the strength to climb stairs for much walking, ect I get sciatic pains in my one leg alot the right one mostly. I do take meds for high BP and had a heart attack this past Sept, 3 clogged arteries too small for stents.I tell my Drs I am a polio survivor they take note but never no comments. I wonder if my problems could be related to it.I attended one PPS meeting years ago and when I seen how some were I felt humbled and wandered if I should have been there. They did say there motto is "Less IS BETTER"Most of us when we could walk again have over compensated , trying to show we could do all those things I guess, I feel it is coming home to me again, with the muscle weakness ect.I have never been diagnosed as PPS but I do wonder!
This is a long post and I thank you for reading!akjoha(anna)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #2

julieanneweb HB User
Re: polio survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjoha
I was suprised to come upon this board , I do post on other topics in other threads however.
I some how got Infantile Paralysis as they called it back then in 1931. I believe there was an epidemic at that time, I lived in a small town in Penna. and was the only one who was striken. My little playmate was not even tou ched by it.to this day I do not know how I was infected! Have read where alot in New Jersy were striken from swimming pool so was contaminated water I assume. I never swam in any pools but may have drank from old bottles ect, probably will never know as all old records I have no idea where they might be. The March of Dimes seemed very interested in all cases then so they may have them for all I know.
I was hospitalized and can remember being told to walk away from the Dr so he could observe .I remember being in the hospital in a crib away from the others and really messing the bed alot. nurses would make me stand and hold onto the bed which I could hardly do , while they changed the sheets.
My Mother carried me from the hospital and she was told I would never walk again.She never gave up! she used the Sister Kenny method of massage , rubbing alchol on my legs ect. She would put a penny on the end of a long dining room table and tell me to walk and get the penny which I would, dragging myself by holding on to the table edge.
I remember when the feeling started coming back into my legs, I would scream from the pain and cramps in my legs.The first walking was done stiff legged I couldnt bend my knees; my sister would holler at me bend your kness when ever I went with her.I did walk again, there were limits to somethings whichI never noticed then, also my right leg is my weakes it turns out at the ankle and my ankles will turn if I step on a twig, down I go.
I also suffered the most painful migraine headaches during school years and on. A friend told me the virus affects the brain stem.
Today at 72, I suffer with high BP that cant seem to be controled, walking is difficult and I havent the strength to climb stairs for much walking, ect I get sciatic pains in my one leg alot the right one mostly. I do take meds for high BP and had a heart attack this past Sept, 3 clogged arteries too small for stents.I tell my Drs I am a polio survivor they take note but never no comments. I wonder if my problems could be related to it.I attended one PPS meeting years ago and when I seen how some were I felt humbled and wandered if I should have been there. They did say there motto is "Less IS BETTER"Most of us when we could walk again have over compensated , trying to show we could do all those things I guess, I feel it is coming home to me again, with the muscle weakness ect.I have never been diagnosed as PPS but I do wonder!
This is a long post and I thank you for reading!akjoha(anna)
Thank you for sharing your story...My mother had poilo..her story is very similar. Julie

Old 02-19-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

may i suggest that either a neurologist or a rheumatologist may be your best best for fibromyalgia that is where peolple i know who have that go.... good luck

Old 03-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

I too had Polio back in the summer of 1950,I was 10.My Mom was taught the Sister Kenny way of massage in hot water,3 times a day in summer yet! I have had no problems since just a bit of stiffness in my neck.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:07 AM   #5
(female)

stormer HB User

Real important that you find a doctor knowledgeable about PPS, or you could receive very bad advice.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

My Dad got polio in one of his legs in the 50's, we think he actually got it from the vaccine, it happens every once in a while. But his leg was all that was affected, and he had no trouble with anything else until a few years ago, and his hip on the other leg started bothering him, from where he had used it to compensate for the other leg, did that make sense? Anyway, he has some problems with his back now, and has some days when he can't do much, but then he has other days when he is fine. He tried to find a dr who knew something about PPS, but there aren't very many drs around here, as we livein the middle of nowhere! He was takign alot of pills, they were helping some, but making him sick on his stomach, so he quit.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
(female)

stormer HB User

Cattieos, it does sound like your dad is experiencing Post-Polio Syndrome. He needs some help and an understanding of what's happening so that he can better take care of himself. There is a book, your library may have it, called "The Polio Paradox" by Dr. Richard Bruno. It is really full of information on polio and post-polio. Dr. Bruno also has a regular column at Mobility Magazine at [url]http://www.newmobility.com/review_article.cfm?id=991&action=browse[/url]. Be sure to browse through his archived columns at the end of this month's column. One of those talks about how to get Social Security Disability for PPS.

A good place to start for basic information is The International Center for Post-Polio Education & Research, at [url]http://www.postpolioinfo.com/postpolio/Polio_Library1.html#SURGICAL%20&%20DENTA L[/url] (do you know how to copy-and-paste this address into your browser address box?).

It is so good that you are concerned for him. He'll need your informed support. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

he finally did get an actual diagnosis of PPS, and did finally, after about two years and a lawyer, get on disability. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
(female)

stormer HB User

I'm so glad. Too bad he had to get a lawyer!

Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User

Yeah it never fails to amaze me, how all these people can get on disability for this really stupid stuff, and someone like my Dad who has worked his whole life, and is genuinely sick, can hardly walk somedays, has to get a lawyer.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
(female)

stormer HB User

This is strictly anecdotal, but it seems to me (I'm a woman) that men have a more difficult time getting onto SSD than women. Not because their doctors don't recommend them for it, but because there seems to be the perception by the bureaucracies that men should 'suck it up', somehow. I have a friend who has been deathly ill for years with a long-standing heart problem, diabetes and epilepsy who was refused for years. Well, he has it now, thank goodness, after writing his Congressman and Senator for help.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #12
(male)

bassman51 HB User

I had polio as a child in the 50's which affected my right leg. I had to learn to walk again and have worn a brace of some sort all my life on my ankle and walk with a slight limp. The past 2-3 years I have been experiencing much more pain in my ankle to the point I can hardly walk on it and working is getting difficult. I have been to several orthopedists who have tried putting me in painful leg braces and wanted to fuse my ankle which would make it difficult for me to walk or drive a car. The last doctor wants to do a osteotemy of the heel as he discovered my foot has twisted over the years, turning my ankle joint causing one side of the ankle joint to be rubbing bone on bone - the cause of the pain in the ankle.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or any thoughts on this? I am only 54 and too young to retire from my job. I am normally a very active person involved in remodeling our home and children's home.

Last edited by bassman51; 02-28-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Closed Thread