It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

Sunshine5 HB User
Flu-like symptoms?

Hi. I had polio at about 3 y.o. At the time I had weakness in my left leg. However, I am not suffering loss of strength or cramps at this point, and those are the only sorts of symptoms I have seen addressed in the articles I have found. I suffer from flu-like symptoms. About three to five times a year I feel weak, tired and nauseated. Usually I run a low-grade fever. It lasts from a couple of days to two weeks. I call it my "malaise". I have been experiencing this for about 12 years, but nothing has been found. My co-workers think I am crazy. Does anyone else get these sorts of symptoms? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
(male)

grahamh HB User
Re: Flu-like symptoms?

Yes. No, you're not crazy. No idea what it is though it doesn't seem to be fatal! Probably just another PPS mystery, or even that good old medical standby of 'a bug going round'!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

wannadance HB User

sounds really familiar. i don't get fever but have 'sore skin' and hair, as if with the flu.

it really sucks, like there wasn't enough going on with pps already....

with sympathy,

carole

Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

wannadance HB User
Exclamation Re: Flu-like symptoms?

i was thinking about this some more. i used to get this, just like you, maybe 5 times a year, for about the ten years before i broke with classical pps symptoms (atrophy, loss of use, etc). i still get it.

it would last about 3 days and would really knock me down. the aching seemed to start at my spine and then work its way outward, to fingertips and toes. they would get blue and mooshy, though not cold. by mooshy, i mean that if i picked something up, the marks on my fingertips didn't fill, just stayed dented in. then the whole thing would go away till next time.

my best friend at the time was an Infectious Disease doctor and she thought i was crazy, too.

wonder what this is all about? really glad to have read your post, sunshine. don't feel so weird about it now.

carole

Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Hi - Have you ever been tested for lyme disease? It just seems kinda weird.
Doens't sound like fibromylgia which mimics PPS in matter of fact I have heard people with PPS also have fibro in alot of cases.

Gosh, I hate when people think it is all in your head... I get that from even my family- so I have just kept my mouth shut and hopefully find out what is going on... My chiro believes alot of the pain is from my polio and the fact my leg goes numb and drags. I also have some scolosis and bad neck and shoulder pain which I take muscle relaxers- who knows, keep an eye on that body. I live in NY state and have been trying to find a doctor who actually can treat PPS and knows about it.

Be Well'
Janet

Old 08-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

wannadance HB User

i might have some fibro but don't have any trigger points to speak of. as to lymes: i am an indoor person who actually despises outdoor activity so the possibility of my having been bitten by a deer tick is remote to say the least!!

also, i have had all those immuno. blood tests and they are neg.

it is weird, but i swear, this pps stuff is weird, too. i never even heard of it till i got it and i was in medicine and read all the time...

curiouser and curiouser,

carole

Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
(female)

Sunshine5 HB User
Cool Re: Flu-like symptoms?

I really don't know if what I experience is related to polio at all. I don't get the aches all the way through my body like wannadance, just the exhaustion, nausea, low fever, etc. I thought of PPS when my sister told me she had a friend with PPS who said she has felt like she has had the flu for most of her adult life. I guess it doesn't matter anyway as I just have to get through these bouts and then get on with my life. I feel fortunate compared to the travails of other people I have read about. Thanks for all of the responses.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #8
(female)

momvst HB User

hi! I don't get the flu, but get laringittis (sp) alot. Last bout was 14 days without a voice. Went to eye ear nose and throat , said it was a virus. This is after throat scope,sinus exam and lots of blood work. Was wondering if this is part of pps . thanks

Closed Thread