It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
(male)

vicsvw HB User
Leg Pain and Tens Unit ?? Strighten Back ??

I had Polio in 1953 and for the last 20 years have fought leg pain. Medication I took would work from several years to several days. My leg pain was the greatest when I was relaxed and trying to sleep. My latest experience was a doctor that gave me a new mussel relaxer. It worked like "NoDoze" as my legs started hearting as soon as I took it. Finely after explaining my leg pain was the greatest after I laid down and relaxed we decided the mussel relaxer was the last thing I needed. I have a Medtronic tens unit that I use for about 1/2 hour before I go to bed. The leg pain decreased enough that I can sleep most of the night. So far I use it about every 3ed day. I just started using the Tens unit several weeks ago but have less night leg pain then I have had in 20 years.
Now my Question is about my back. I had one knee scoped and then replaced. It did not work out the best and now I walk with a cane and very stooped over. I have sever pain when I try to straighten up. I would like to know if I might use the tens unit to straighten my spine. Thanks in advance for any help. Vic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Leg Pain and Tens Unit ?? Strighten Back ??

What is a tens unit? I always look here trying to find out ways to help my Dad out. He had polio, probably about the same time you did, in his leg. And he has a lot of hip and leg pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
(female)

enie HB User
Re: Leg Pain and Tens Unit ?? Strighten Back ??

My husband, who is 58 and has been fighting PPS for 20 years, is also having great pain, so we asked his Doctor last month about getting a tens unit but the Dr. sent out a PT instead. The PT guy doesnít know how or where to get one from Medicare.
My husband has had terrible pain in his arms and shoulders since last fall when he had a long bought with celulitis in his good leg. He has had cellulitis several times because of the poor circulation in his leg from the damage from the polio. I am glad to hear that the tens is helping you and would love to know if any one knows how to go about getting one.
Gary was in Warm Springs for a long time and learned not to give up or slow down but this is more pain than he can deal with on his own.
In the past I have used tens units many times and they really helped me for different kinds of pain and Iím hoping that if we can find one that it will help my husband without accelerating the PPS.

A couple of Virginians
looking forward to hear from
someone
ANYONE !

Enie

Closed Thread