It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
(male)

ted4753 HB User
My present was not a bicycle

I got my polio a couple of months before my 6th birthday. Not too long prior to being stricken, I had learned to ride my best friend's bicycle and begged for my own. He and I were inseperable and was told I would be getting one for my birthday in a couple of months. I now know it was going to take that long for my Dad to find a way to pay for a bicycle as there was not an excess of money available for such a purchase. He promised I would have one on my birthday.

I do not know where or how I was exposed to the polio virus in 1953. Maybe it was somewhere Tommy and I had been playing and I was the one hit and he wasn't. I woke one morning crying out in pain and could not standup getting out of bed. The doctor had me taken to the hospital and I was there for what seemed like an eternity.

One thing that stands out in my memory though was when I found out I was getting braces. My parents were able to visit me for my birthday and I asked about my bicycle I was promised. I was crushed when my dad told me I was not getting the bike but would be getting braces instead. I did not want braces, I wanted my bike. At least I did not get them on my birthday. I guess my parents had been told I would not walk again on my own. The doctor had prepared them but not me. I have always wondered why the doctor or nurse did not tell me.

I realized later my legs had no strength to stand let alone push on the pedals, but it had been promised and the promise was broken. My dad was not able to buy something I really did not need and he knew I was going to have to buy things others than a useless bicycle. But to a six year mind, that made no sense. Little did I understand I had a lot to learn. I do not think my dad was ever able to forgive himself of telling me that he was going to break his promise.

Does anyone else remember how they were informed they were getting braces?

Last edited by ted4753; 04-19-2006 at 02:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
(male)

JD John HB User
Re: My present was not a bicycle

just 2 when I got mine, kept them and those brown lace up forever boots. I do remember though at 6 when I got them off for good and gotmy first pair of black dress shoes.

Closed Thread