It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #1

Spikedude HB User
If you know about polio surgerys pls read

Hello, I have an uncle who has had polio since he was a child, he was cured later, but one of his legs had become shortened, preventing from running, playin soccer and many other things. He is now in adulthood and is currently working in the state of Florida. I wanted to know if there was any surgery that could lengthen the foot to enable him to walk and run with ease. ( Please excuse my ingorance with the way I explain things, I do not know much of polio except of what I have seen in education videos at my school )

Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: If you know about polio surgerys pls read

My dad had polio in a leg also, and it is shorter, he wore braces when he was little, so it's not bad. Until the PPS kicked in he never had problems, played tennis in college even. So his must not be as bad. I don;t know of any type of surgeries, I figure if there were such a thing my Dad would have looked into it, but it might be that it would have had to been done earlier.
Good luck to him

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
(female)

Margaret Greene HB User
Re: If you know about polio surgerys pls read

hi spikedude,
when i got polio my affected leg was 3inches shorter then the other. I had it lenghtened by surgery in childhood. but what doctors did not know was, it grew!!! slowley, with the result that I still suffer very badly with my back now. I often wonder if I had not had all the surgerys. Would i be better off today? Maggie

Closed Thread