It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

greentinkerbell HB User
In need of help and support

I have recently found this web site, and am happy to do so. Here it goes.....

My name is Sarah and I was born in India. I was left at an ophanage because of contracting the polio virus as an infant. I stayed in this orphanage for 4 year, without getting the correct love or person care a child needs. I was then adopted by a wonderful american family and was given the care I needed. growing up, I was afriad of them abandoning me, so I pushed away my mother mentally. This has really screwed me up in my older years. I have been living alone for over 3 years, being unable to take my mothers complete control in my life. I now know that everything that happend to me as a child was for my imbeterment as an adault, and am very gratful for everything my parents have done for me.

My left leg was affected and as a child, I learned how to walk useing crutches and a KAFO brace. A back brace was used as well. I went through physical therapy, not understanding that this was all for better. I didnt want to do my excercies, and now at 21 am paying for my childhood mistakes. Every one of them. My leg has gotten weaker and I must still use a brace, a cain, and walker. I feel that there is no solution to my extremly slow moving life. I am excercising daily to keep what I have for muscle tone. This is showing very little resaults, but I just have to keep it up.

I have been paying attention to all of the technological advancments in the world today, and need to know what there can be done for me. Electro shock therapy for my muscles? An implant in my brain to activate the correct muscles? I have so many ideas, but no way of seeing if they work. I have no one to discuss my options with and I am feeling very lost. If you can help, please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you for reading.

Thank you for the responses, but this does not help me. I currently am seeing a doctor right now that does not seem like he cares, or even wants to help me. I am in the middle of finding a new doctor, but have little time juggleing both a full time job and part time college. If any one would help me track down some specific info on specilized doctors in the Eau Claire, WI area, that would be very helpfull. I have lost a lot of musscle ability and am hoping that I can get some sort of implant to beable to walk again without this brace. It constantly keeps my leg stiff and I feel very handicaped.

Last edited by greentinkerbell; 10-12-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: In need of help and support

So sorry to hear about your illness. I would get in touch with a Neurologolist and get some test done- maybe start with you regular MD- please get checked out and let them know about your bout with polio. If you can try and find a doctor that is familiar with polio- you really need to see a doctor.

Good Luck and Wishes Janet

Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

greentinkerbell HB User

Thank you for your reply. I currently live in Eau Claire WI and am seeing a doctor that I feel is not taking care of me as I need. I am going to seek a different doctor, but I havent gotten around to it becuase of juggling both a full time job and College. Do you have any answeres on a Doctor with this specialty in Eau Claire? [ REMOVED ], anything???

Last edited by moderator2; 10-12-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: ask for doctor info to be name, city and state only; as per the posting rules

Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Hi - Hope you have found some help. The book someone suggested "the Polio Paradox" is excellent and gives alot of explanation- I got it from our local Library. I am seeking to see a Physiatrist someone who is familiar with Polio and the after effects - I had also Paralytic Polio and have been losing motor usage of my arms and legs. Please don't give up it is very hard to get doctors that are familiar with this. Janet

Closed Thread