It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

Flat37 HB User
Pps & Copd

Hello, Iím trying to find a correlation between PPS and COPD?

I am 70 years of age and contracted lumbar polio in 1940 at age 4 paralyzing both legs and my right arm. After about 18 months, other than permanent atrophy in the arm both legs seemed to reignite with treatment. Everything seemed normal until about 20 years ago with the onset of extreme muscle weakness and nagging pain in both arms and legs. At that time I was diagnosed with PPS.

About 5 years ago upon effort I started experiencing an abdominal squeeze taking away my breath. After 20 or 30 seconds of rest, normal breathing returned. After examination and pulmonary function test I was diagnosed with COPD. Yes, as with many my age I smoked and quit over 20 years ago. The doctors feel smoking is the primary cause, Iím wondering?

The medications prescribed are Spiriva (once daily since April) and Advair (twice daily for about 2 years). Prior to medication and to this day I'm able to deep breath with good lung expansion and had never coughed, spit phlegm or other symptoms Iíd associate with emphysema like problem.

To date, the meds donít seem to be of much help, however Iím reluctant to discontinue as the pulmonary doctors seem convinced. My opinion, itís more than a guess the primary cause is PPS pulmonary muscle deterioration aggravated by the consequences of smoking. Unfortunately, doctors are mired in their profession and are unable to agree.

Today, as my overall PPS condition is degenerating with aging, etc. Iím most curious if any of you may be experiencing a similar problem, and what measures you may have been taken for relief?

Best regards, and good health,

Flat37

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
Re: Pps & Copd

Hi, I just felt i had to add a little something, my dad (aged 71) had Polio aged 16. Once better he led a normal life, worked, had kids etc. Over the last 10yrs dad had lots of chest infection, bronchitus, pnuemonias, his lips even go blue but his dr told him this was all ok and his lips had a natural blue tinge!???
Well dad has now been diagnosed with COPD, also has pps, i know without any DR telling me that this is what dad has had for years, but they as normal just didnt bother to take the time or listent to him, when i look at dads blue lips now i think to myself ' how the hell can a dr see these navy blue lips and say they are normal' you would have to be a total idiot not to realise is is lack og oxygen. One of dads legs has also shortened in the last year for some stange reasons ( down to the post polio i guess.) Dad has been diagnosed so late with copd that his outlook is not great i am afraid. But he is very happy in himself but cannot walk or anything, so maybe there is some link somewhere with copd and pps. Good luck.

Closed Thread