It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
Re: HELP-any polio survivors out there****

Hi Guys, i am not a pps survivor but my DAd is, he is still alive and his symptoms were ignored for years and years as anxiety, nerves, hypochondria etc, But he is 71 now and apart from the last 2 yrs he has led a full and happy life, He had kids, worked, went to the pub and enjoys life. His story is different now though, but then again he is 71 yrs old so he may be no different to any other 71 yr old. He now has copd, diabettes, renal failure, and heart failure, where all this suddenly sprang from i will never know. I notice someone else on the boards has pps and copd!!! I have often wondered myself if there is any comebacks on the children of pps sufferers. Dad now strangly has one leg shorter than the other but never did from aged 16 ( when he had polio) until now.
willow

The Following User Says Thank You to willowthewisp For This Useful Post:
kate65 (07-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
(female)

momvst HB User

Hi! My name is cheryl and I found out I have pps in jan of 2005. I have lots of questions like yourself. No I haven"t had a heart attack, but feel like I could with all the new changes in my lfe. Would like to talk to anyone who can help me adjust to this. thanks

Last edited by momvst; 01-11-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
(female)

Margie17 HB User
Smile Re: HELP-any polio survivors out there****

Hi all;
I got a mild case of polio when I was 8. I wore braces for about a year, then my legs became stronger and I was able to walk ok. I just turned 63, and everything was fine until four years ago when I went to visit my daughter. The place where she lives has these traffic bumps and my husband and I were walking towards our car when my legs went out from under me. I tried to get up and I couldn't. That, scared the spit out of me. Finally, my daughter and my husband pulled me up and I was able to walk again. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with pps. Now I walk with a cane, and sometimes when I try to get up off the sofa or a chair, I fall back because my legs won't hold me up. I am so glad I found this site, because my doctor told me that I am probably the last one in my family that would have to deal with this, because now children are vaccinated against it. "Thank God!" But it's still good to find people out there that can relate.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
(male)

DMonkey HB User
Thumbs up Re: HELP-any polio survivors out there****

Hi to all, I've done my best but it seems to not matter, there is always somthing getting in the way. It's probably myself but I've had to endure pain, embarrasment, other peoples perceptions, doctors who tell me I might find a doctor in S.Texas who might be able to answer my questions etc. I'm still strong but weakening with age. I thought graduating from college was a good thing now I'm strangled in student loan debt. My build up in my shoe is 14 years old and when I do have insurance it does not cover replacing it. I, like most people wished they had done some things different in life. All I ever wanted was some peace in life and it has been rare. Maybe it will get better. Some times I'm happy but when my heel hurts,my leg aches and my lower back is weak I get frustrated. There is no one to talk to about my problems.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

momvst HB User

Hi it's good to see other new peolple on this site. Everytime I see the notes and problems I think it's not in my head. PPS has been hard for me to take in. Have had alot of the same problems you have talked about. I know the feeling of not being able to get up. I would get down on the floor at work and have to ask a customer for the use of their cart to pull up on. that is what sent me to the doctor along with other things t0 find out about pps.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
(female)

mairingirl HB User
Re: any polio survivors out there?

Hi all,

I had polio at the age of 6. I contracted the disease from the vaccine. I was paralyzed from the neck down and could only move my arms from the elbows down. I was not in an iron lung and after all that after about 6 months I actually walked out of the hospital. Thanks to the Sister Kenny Method!
The last 10 years I have gradually had problems ambulating, leg twitching and pain, severe fatigue, neck and shoulder pain. I have gone from dr. to dr. and get no diagnosis. I was even sent the an ALS clinic in NYC and still no diagnosis.
Can anyone help me with somemore information. It would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
"M"

Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
(female)

mairingirl HB User

Thanks Koyla, I am going to try it!
"M"

Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #8
(female)

Margie17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairingirl View Post
Hi all,

I had polio at the age of 6. I contracted the disease from the vaccine. I was paralyzed from the neck down and could only move my arms from the elbows down. I was not in an iron lung and after all that after about 6 months I actually walked out of the hospital. Thanks to the Sister Kenny Method!
The last 10 years I have gradually had problems ambulating, leg twitching and pain, severe fatigue, neck and shoulder pain. I have gone from dr. to dr. and get no diagnosis. I was even sent the an ALS clinic in NYC and still no diagnosis.
Can anyone help me with somemore information. It would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
"M"

I know there's a hospital in Southern California that has done extensive research on PPS, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Maybe you can use google and plug in Southern California + PPS. I hope that helps.

Margie

Old 02-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
(male)

tamla HB User

I contracted polio at the age of approximately 2 here in the UK, that was back in the early 1950s (I'm now 57). It left me with muscle wastage in my left torso and left arm. In the last 3 years I have been experiencing loss of strength in my polio affected muscles which a neurologist has said is probably due to Post Polio Syndrome (something seemingly not offically recognised by the medical profession here in the UK). No treatment or hope of any becoming available was offered.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #10
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User

I understand what you mean about doctors over hear not knowing about pps, Dad has been in hospital so many times in the last 2 yrs with his copd and everytime he was admitted to hospital the drs very rarely had heard of pps. then they would ask if the medical students could examine dad ( he had so many illnesses it was probably good training for them) and each student we had to explain what pps was!!!! Well Dad died last week of the copd not pps, but i did notice the pps got a bit worse as his health detoriated. Good luck to your all out there, and for those of you who live in the UK dad found the Post Polio syndrom people were fantastic in helping him. They supplied him with a telephone, and transport when he was able to go on holiday. a bed and other little things.
willow

Old 02-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
(female)

goldfinger56 HB User

Greetings, my name is Betty and is a polio survivor im 50yrs and had it since i was 18mos. old. it affected my right leg it's shorter and smaller than my left. pain that i had for years was made good after going to a dr and by my surprise he had polio too, and precribed some pain medication called oxyproxy and it works! I have noticed some weakness in my leg and it do make me value my health more and i try to stay active. Most doctors don't know anything about how to treat PPS.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
(female)

goldfinger56 HB User
Thumbs up polio survivors out here

I get a lot of up dated information from Polio Outreach Of Washington.
they will send the newsletter that will have good research information etc. You will find out what to ask the doctor and how to find a doctor that knows about pps.
I am happy to know that there is so many survivors out there and we all are living life, lets stay happy! Betty /mia,fl

Last edited by moderator2; 02-27-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
(female)

vagal HB User
Re: polio survivors out here

Hello. I live in Virginia and have had polio since I was 3 months old. I will be 53 this year. Have been in wheelchair all my life and have copd. Just wanted to introduce myself and let y'all know that I know very well how you feel. Have a Blessed Day

Closed Thread