It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

barber71 HB User
Lightbulb Polio strikes again

I had polio at age 4. I don't remember any of it and thought my left thigh was the only part affected. Now 65+ yrs later I find myself losing muscle on the rt. side of my face, neck, shoulder and arm. I now know that my whole body suffered in different degrees. I have and continue to modify my life style. I had to become very selfish and put my needs first. 75% of the time I do just that. I miss being the independent, strong, person I thought I was and have learned to rely on others for help. I am full of ideas and am willing to share them with anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: Polio strikes again

So sorry to hear and it sure is a bummer that when we thought we were 'cured' so to speak. I also had 'Polio' at age 4-My left leg was affected BUT I was lucky I only needed the special shoes built up.

Now, I have crutches and have to get a special AFO(brace) made. I have the Loftstrand crutches and I am suppose to use them outside as well as inside. It takes alot of getting used to but we have to change our lifestyles around. So many of us have spent our lives trying to BE normal after the Polio and many of us are Type "A"- we always did for others and wanted to be the BEST in everything we did. Now we have to take that TYPE "A" personality and apply it to ourselves. One very intelligent Dr. told me if you are not feeling 'selfish, guilty or Lazy' you are not taking care of yourself. so once again many of us battle to be that 'Survivor' once again.

Hang in there, I am sure trying- everyday is a new day. 'Conserve to Preserve' - You have to find ways to use less energy, etc. I also am a caregiver to my husband who has been waiting for an organ transplant for over 3 years now- so take each day as it comes. Bless you- Keep on keepin' on 'Polio Survivors' will not give up BUT we will take care of our bodies and continue our journey.

Hugs Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
(female)

barber71 HB User

Sorry to hear about your husband's health problem. I hope and pray he gets the organ he needs very soon.
I met a couple at one of the PPS meetings I went to. He had PPS and she had cancer. She went out of remission and was in the hospital. He refused to keep on walking because she wasn't there to go with him. She recovered and went into remission again.and had trouble getting him to walk again. Same story, don't use it lose it. He ended up using the wheel chair more and more.
She heard of a hospital in Texas that might be able to help her cancer. They went together, he in his wheel chair and her the picture of health. The nurses ran up to him thinking he was the cancer patient. She had to explain to them that she was the cancer patient. She died a few months after. He went down hill quickly.
Having health problems is depressing and makes people uncomfortable. i can only stay depressed for so long than I get mad at myself and start laughing at myself. I find humor in the way I fall, drop things, lose my balance, forget words etc. It helps me to cope. after all what can people say to make you feel better? My favorite is either "Get over it. or Deal with it."
PS Protect your shoulders.You won't appreciate them until they start to fail. Mine are shot. GOD Bless you. Barber71

Last edited by barber71; 04-19-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

[PS Protect your shoulders.You won't appreciate them until they start to fail.

What a shame about the ppser and the women with cancer. Real shame.. I hear you on the shoulders part, my neck and shoulders are not the best... I get the spasms mainly in my neck, so I am 'Conserving to Preserve' - I may have to invest in a Power Chair instead of the scooter that is if I want to get out more. I need to get out more and my hubby does, too. Because you never know what tomorrow may bring.

I am still trying to get used to the 'Program' Dr. Bruno put me on- it does make sense but very hard to change basically your lifestyle around... But I want to be able not to get worse and I have the Ten Commandents with me. I hope you are doing the best you can and it is good to know there are alot of 'Polio Survivors' out there still going strong as they can...

Angel Hugs Janet

Old 06-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
(female)

lpiilani HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barber71;2***291
I had polio at age 4. I don't remember any of it and thought my left thigh was the only part affected. Now 65+ yrs later I find myself losing muscle on the rt. side of my face, neck, shoulder and arm. I now know that my whole body suffered in different degrees. I have and continue to modify my life style. I had to become very selfish and put my needs first. 75% of the time I do just that. I miss being the independent, strong, person I thought I was and have learned to rely on others for help. I am full of ideas and am willing to share them with anyone.
Found your posting very helpful.
I had Polio when I was fifteen.....spent the 20 days mandatory in the hospital CCD ward after Polil was confirmed by a spinal tap....It was awful!
I really dreaded hearing the carts carrying the vats of steamed wool down the hall. After I was released and fitted with lifts for my shoes and told that I had to get up only fifteen minutes at a time, I seemed to recover almost completely. Now I realize that the "little' problems I have had through the years were the cause of Post Polio Syndrome!!!!
My legs are deteriorating fast and I can no longer take the little walks I had been taking for years. Never could go very far but was able to keep a job teaching and walk all that was necessary without any help or even a limp.
I found a lab in Germany that posts on the web and am trying their poliotin
....drops to take in water. Just started ...too soon to tell if it is a snake oil or the real thing. Have you found anything that helps other than rest?

Closed Thread