It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

tigrjo HB User
Post-polio and knee replacement

Hi everyone, I am new to this message board and I'm excited to have the opportunity to talk with other polio survivors. I have a question. Is there anyone who has post-polio and a knee replacement? I had one in Feb. in the leg most affected by polio and am still having difficulty walking. Therapy and a brace have been ordered and I'm hopeful that in time I will walk without a walker. Before surgery I locked my knee and used my hip to walk but now that is impossible with the new knee. No one told me that my muscles would be too weak to keep me upright with my new knee. I would appreciate any advise or information with this situation.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: Post-polio and knee replacement

Hi - I have PPS but have not had knee surgery. My knee locks quite a bit but not everyday and the Physiatrist said as long as it was not in pain no surgery... But I do have a friend that just had hip surgery and has PPS- she is slow at healing like many of us PPSers - So take baby steps and just know that it takes a long time to heal. The brace should help especially when the muscles are weak.. I have an left AFO and now using crutches.

I was just recently dx'd with PPS(but I kind of new something was happening for awhile) - I have atrophy of the left quad and that is the leg I had the Polio in.

Hang in there, things will get better- do you have a good Polio doctor? They are so hard to find.

Hugs to you Janet (Polio at age 4)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

Jan60 HB User

Hi,
Figured muscles would slow or prevent complete recovery. Have not been diagnosed with PPS yet, but trying to get in with a doctor in Dallas. Knees are bone on bone and beginning to catch. Taking over a year to get over injured ligament, I am guessing. No one has diagnosed that either. Hard to get a doctor to tell me anything.. Husband thinks I don't do my share of the work, but I about wore myself out trying to take care of horses the past 5 years. Knew something was wrong, but no one ever gave me a reason for being so tired. Drop foot makes me trip. Hope the doctor will see me in a couple months. If not, may have to go to Houston but that is farther away.

Anyway, my best to all who are dealing with PPS. Hope to chat with some of you.

Nite. J

Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Hi Jan - Have you tried ****** and find a list of clinics or doctors for PPS? I agree there are not many out there... Very difficult to find one that believes or wants to know... It is very sad.

What I have researched is when someone with PPS gets injured or has surgery takes twice as long to bounce back. So sounds like with your foot drop you will need a brace- I have one for my left and will be getting one for my right foot in the future.

Glad to hear from you- and best to you to find a doctor. Be careful walking and know PPS is 'real'-

Hugs Janet

Old 08-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
(female)

Jan60 HB User

Hi Janet,
Thanks for writing. No idea if Dallas doctor knows about PPS, but doctor here gave me his name. I am waiting to see they will give me an appointment.

So, how are your knees? Is there no pain yet? It seems that at some point we will have to have something done. Have you heard if the chicken ????? shots help knees?

What do you do for exercise since on crutches? Older friend went to clinic in Houston years ago, and they did stretching exercises for her PPS. My doctor here tells me to walk. But that will just wear my knees out sooner. Wonder if a glider type machine will be bad also.

Take care. Good luck with your knees.

Jan

Last edited by Jan60; 08-13-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Hi there Jan;

My knees are not in pain... My right knee which is my good knee seems to buckle at times, almost fell the other day- but I didn't- the one doctor I had seen told me no surgery unless the knee starts to pain. Thank God.

I have the brace and crutches to help with my gait when I walk- and I have stretch exercises that were formulated for me- have not gone to any PT- when I do, I gotta make sure they Know PPS patients- which is so hard to find. I had to stop working, so am on SSDI. October I will be going for my other brace,

I would not do the walking- on a machine or ground- Be careful if you do any walking pace yourself by rest...Listen to your body only you can do this and get the rests you need- everyday- Follow the golden Rule- If anything causes pain, fatigue or weakness- don't do it or do alot less of it...

It surely is hard, have to train yourself all over but it can be done and make your quality of life better.

Take Care Janet

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
(female)

Jan60 HB User

Thanks, Janet.

Turned out the Dallas doctor I was hoping to see does not take my insurance so they shredded my records. So now I have to start all over trying to get help. Not bad yet. Just want to know what to do to keep from getting worse. Someone from Rockport, Tx sent a newspaper article saying a lady finally found a doctor willing to learn about PPS in Lubbock. Another doctor she had gone to before told her there was no need to learn about PPS as soon all those people would be dead. I thought that was so cruel.

Anyway, wish you the best with your stretching exercises and hope you don't get any worse. Wish the best for all PPS people.

Jan

Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Hi Jan

That is what I have heard alot from some sources about the medical field saying we are a dying breed - blah, blah- well unfortunately- they are alot us out some are alot younger and I am 51- I don't feel I am ready to die yet...

So, it is a hit and miss situation with drs. but there are some out there, just finding ones is so frustrating but we are Polio Survivors- we survived the first round (initial illness) Now we can surely keep on keepin' on.....

The best to you and your knee- My pain is mainly through my entire back, but have gotten some under control after a year of pretty constant pain.

Hugs Janet

Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
(male)

binaryboots HB User

hi jan i had a operationfor dropped foot was always falling had my ankle fused but broke that. i ended up walkingon the side of my foot crushing my toes untill i could not stand the pain any longer the surgeon sugested putting a pin up through my heel through my leg bone about foot long.i was off work for over a year but what a differance it made to my life .i could walk straighter less pain. all the best boots.

Closed Thread