It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

amanda1315 HB User
Talking trouble swallowing

Is anyone having trouble swallowing? Lately, about once a month for the past six months, I have been choking. When I eat or when taking meds I have been choking. It feels like something closes in my throat and I start choking and gasping for air. If you are having trouble swallowing is this how it is for you?

Bye,
Amanda

Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: trouble swallowing

Amanda- I really do not have that problem yet, but do know of quite a few that have problems with swallowing. Polio it seems damaged more than we knew.. I would definitely get that checked out with someone who knows Polio and after affects...

I read that sometimes turning ones head somewhat to swallow helps but do have it checked out.

best to you Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

amanda1315 HB User

Hi,

Janet I happened to have my dr.'s appointment this week and he has perscribed a swallowing test. I was telling him how when I am preparing projects for the kids(I am a school teacher) I have problems with tiring and painful arms. He is writing a letter to my school board to get an aide for me to do these projects for me and other types of things. I laughed and told him that they will not do this. I was telling my sister about this and told her how its weird that I would need a service like this when I am a healthy person. Except for fatigue and pain. I do understand I need it to preserve but it is hard to except.

Bye for now,
Amanda

Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

I need it to preserve but it is hard to except.

It surely is Very hard to except.... I don't know if we will totally every except the entire concept- but we surely must try.. I am 52, and still think of myself as young- I surely do not want to have someone having to come and dress me and bath me(if yah no what I mean) so I am going to listen to my body and try and "Conserve" as hard as it is- I think the alternative would be horrible...

Do the best you can to get help with chores, etc. Rest when you can and good luck with the swallow test..

Hugs Janet

Closed Thread