It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

Sunny99 HB User
I Was Unlucky Enough To Contract Polio In 1950

I was only 9 months old when they told my parent that i had polio and that the muscles in my right let had started to deteriorate I ended up with a leg 2 ins shorter than the left leg. when I was 11 they lengthened my leg I had to stay in hospital for this took about a year not nice they broke the bone in my leg put pins in the every day turned the screws to separate the bone which eventually I was let out however before that op I had to have the tendince in my leg lengthened to match up the new length although the doc never quite got it right as i haven't been able to put my heal on the ground ever ! . My leg went a bit skew when I was 16 and they had to operate to try and fix it they bent the top bone in my leg and then put me in traction for +- 3 months alas that it not the end of the tale I still walk with a limp I also had to have my ankle fused as the bone was eroding so they took bone out my hip to block up the hole then put 2 pins in son now my ankle is completely immobile. This was done in 2006 and in hind sight I wish I hadn't had it done. Cant drive anymore theres more pain now and my toes are starting to look like claws. I know there are worse cases but this is my story i thought Id like to share. nearly forgot about the spine being out of alignment plus the cramps I get and so it goes on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: I Was Unlucky Enough To Contract Polio In 1950

Welcome Sunny.. So, so sorry to hear about your story with Polio... Seems like torture that alot of little ones had to go through... I have read some nightmare stories. But know you are not alone and we did survive and will continue to survive with this new road alot of us survivors on now on.

We are here for you to listen, and offer hugs... I don't trust surgeries- when it comes to the back or anything like that especially for us Polio Survivors.

Hugs Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

gail45 HB User

Hi Sunny99 Welcome, I Am Also New. We Seem To Have A Little Something In Common. I Got Polio In Sept. Of 1949. I Also Spent Over A Year In The Hosipital, And I Also Had Different Corrective Surgeries. Some Worked,some Didn't. My Doctor That I Have Now Wanted To Do Surgery On My Back And My Sholder. I Refused Both.. I Agree People With Polio Shouldn't Get Surgeries, I Think We Have To Many Weak Muscles. I Hope Things Get Better For You. Gail45

Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
(female)

mugs51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny99 View Post
I was only 9 months old when they told my parent that i had polio and that the muscles in my right let had started to deteriorate I ended up with a leg 2 ins shorter than the left leg. when I was 11 they lengthened my leg I had to stay in hospital for this took about a year not nice they broke the bone in my leg put pins in the every day turned the screws to separate the bone which eventually I was let out however before that op I had to have the tendince in my leg lengthened to match up the new length although the doc never quite got it right as i haven't been able to put my heal on the ground ever ! . My leg went a bit skew when I was 16 and they had to operate to try and fix it they bent the top bone in my leg and then put me in traction for +- 3 months alas that it not the end of the tale I still walk with a limp I also had to have my ankle fused as the bone was eroding so they took bone out my hip to block up the hole then put 2 pins in son now my ankle is completely immobile. This was done in 2006 and in hind sight I wish I hadn't had it done. Cant drive anymore theres more pain now and my toes are starting to look like claws. I know there are worse cases but this is my story i thought Id like to share. nearly forgot about the spine being out of alignment plus the cramps I get and so it goes on.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

mugs51 HB User

Hi Sunny, I like you had polio in my right leg. I spent nearly 3 yrs in Shriners Hospital having my good leg shortened and several spinal fusions and exploratory surgeries. They did the leg surgery when I was 12 yrs old and wasn't done growing. Now my good leg is shorter than the polio leg and has gotten weaker over time. It would have be much better if they had lengthened my bad leg and left the good one alone. My heel does not reach the floor either and makes my balance off kilter. As I get older the whole balance problem is getting much worse, along with many other problems. Up until age 50, there was nothing I couldn't do or at least try.
Hugs to you, mugs51

Old 05-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
(female)

crochetqueen HB User

Hi everyone! Hope all is well with everyone. I'm dragging as usual. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever feel really good again. Got some sad news today. I've been following this polio survivor in a town about 52 miles from my hometown, She is the oldest survivor still in an iron lung. She was 61 years old. Last night there was a power outage and her iron lung went out. Her parents in their 80's frantically tried to get a backup generator going to no avail. She passed away. Can you imagine laying there fighting for air. She was a real hero. I so had wanted to go meet her but never got the opportunity. Jane Seymour, the actress was real involved with her and they are talking about a movie about her life. We think we have problems. I'm sure she is in heaven with a new body that God has promised us. I feel so bad for her parents. They dedicated their whole lives to taking care of her and they said she never suffered from a single bed sore. Thank God for the blessings of life. Love you all, Phyllis

Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Phyllis and everyone- I read that article- That lady should be a saint.... I read that she got herself a degree and everything while in that iron lung. Makes some of our PPS problems minut compared to that... She was a real Hero... and her parents along with her.

May God take care of her... This story is such an inspiration for all of us Polio Survivors

Love & Hugs (Hope all is having a nice day) Janet

Old 11-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

stormonto57 HB User

My uncle was diagnosed with polio in 1924 when he was 9 months old, he died last week age 85. He wore a caliper on his right leg which was 4 inches shorter than the left. Up until the last 5 years of his life he lived life to the full. He was married for 30 years and worked right up to retirement age. No one ever heard him complain and he must have been uncomfortable at times if not in pain cos his caliper was very old fashioned, heavy cumbersome and awkward, but he prefered it to the more modern types. For the last 5 years of his life he was chair bound but still kept himself busy, going out in his mobility scooter and being recognised and chatted to by lots of people in our area. I just wanted to write this about my uncle Billy because he was a star!!!!!!

Closed Thread