It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
(male)

ronnie53 HB User
Lightbulb Life after PPS

Hi to everyone:
If you were to look up hard-head my name would be in the top 5, stuborn is my middle name. I didn't want to quit working, but as a subcontractor I found myself weak and my legs would not support me on the job. The companys that I did work for wanted me to have a physcial, because of just falling down. After seening many doctors who didn't know anything about pps or polio, I was sent to Sheppards Spinal Center in Atlanta GA. They knew that I had pps and stoped me from working again, this made me mad at the time. They didn't know everything about pps but what they did know was that I was on a fast lane to being paralyzed fron the waist down. I got polio at the age of 15 month and was told by my dad that I was paralyzed for about 2 years. I have had 18 operatins on both feet and legs wore braces until the age 12 and now am wearing them again. We all have to chose, now I have spent time in a wheelchair and may very will be again. The truth is when we work 8 hrs our bodies are working 16 to 20 hrs just to keep up. The nerve endings are dying off and there are none to replace them. So the more we do more is required of our bodies to keep up. The quailty of life after pps depends on each and everyone of us to either keep working and kill off more nerve endings and not be able to do anything. This may sound as if I am trying to scare somebody, but I am not,we must know the signs and listen to our bodies because it's the only one we have. I do get a check from SS and this dose allow me to spend time quality time with all my love ones and do things I never had time to do before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: Life after PPS

Ronnie - Thank you for this post.. I was very intrigued to hear your story and I know it is soooo difficult to 'Give In' sort of speaking But I am finding it is not giving in at all.... We are dealt these cards (energy coins) is the words I have heard and we have the choice to use them the way we want - I am in the process of choosing the road to enjoy life as best I can and it sounds like you have, too. God Bless us all and reading all these posts and the information I have on Polio and PPS - I believe we are 'Special' People and see why they call us Survivors.... I think we should be proud and keep looking at things positive... But there are always those days when that is hard to do- that is when I pray and really have a heart to heart talk within my inner self...

Keep on going- save what we have to enjoy the true things in life we have..

Hugs to all Janet

Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
(male)

ronnie53 HB User

Hi Janet: Glad to hear that you are on the right road to enjoy life with pps. We are special people, because we don't give up. Most people with pps that I talk to are realy mad or having a pitty party, and often ask the question why me? I say why not me. PPS is very hard to deal with on a daily life style. There are days I don't want to get up. I have pain every day, and I know that if I let it get to me then I will have a bad day. I take the advice that my father gave a long, long time ago, If you can get out of bed every morning and put your feet on the floor ya doing pertty good. Now this might sound lame to us who have pps, but before anyone with pps thinks my dad advice is not for them it is, you see my dad did'nt have any feet or legs I never saw my dad walk. He was in a wheelchair. He never gave up on life or what he wanted to do, So when I start to feel those dark days I always remember my dad and draw from his courage and his strength for myself. He has been gone about 30 years, but at times I can still hear his voice. You know with all we have going against us we are still strong in spirit and still contribute to this crazy world. It may just being there to listen to someone or just to say there are people who are in worse condition than me.

Keep on the high road, because it's the one close to God and know we are never alone:
Janet is also my wife's name.So let every day be a good day and know that no matter how dark it maybe there is someone with a light just let it shine on you.
God bless and keep each and everyone
Ronnie

Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Ronie - I read what your Dad used to say and definitely like his Humor- Although I try and stay positive- there are days I could scream at the world... But glad those days do not outway the better ones...

I look at the world and there are so many that have things so much worse. So live for today because who knows about tomorrow and keep on smilin'...

Bless yah all Janet

Closed Thread