It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
(male)

ronnie53 HB User
Lightbulb Pain meds. why some work and some don't

Hello everyone janet, cheryl, phyllis, and all that are here, man i see we get a lot of veiws, but not many posts lol, oh well. Here is a list of my meds. Lorcet plus, nuretron, flexerl, and xanax. Have tryed others to no avail but some meds respond different to different people. The nuretron I take at bed time along with a lorcet, flexerl and xanax this helps me relax so I can sleep. I don't wake up droggy. Nuretron is used by many different reasons depending on the person and their condition. My dr. said that it would help to stemulate the nevers that I have left in my lower body, and they do help me, but may not help others, because our bodys can reject any meds. The best med. i took for my joints was vioxx but it was removed and no longer avalable. It did harm to some but was good for me. The one thing we can do to help ourselves is to be truthful with our drs. so they will know what meds. we take what works and what don't, because some meds. will interfear with other meds. we take. My first dr. didn't know anything about pps when I started seeing him, but he was willing to learn, and he did. He was a good dr. that took time to listen like you were the only one he had to see that day. He was not only concerned about my physical health, but also my mental health. So when I say be honest with your dr. please do because he mostly relies on what we tell them. In this way he will know how to help. So again when taking any meds. listen to your body it can tell you what is working and what is not. have a good day, and remember PRYS (polio remember your systoms) Ronnie:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: Pain meds. why some work and some don't

Hey all

I was on Neurotin last year- and took it a night- when I went to the Post Polio Clininc it was suggested to not take that. I guess it is more for people that have diabetes with nerve pain(plus the fact it adds to the fatigue- at least for me) I take up to 6 lortabs for pain a day, Flexeril for the spasms and only as needed- I have been on Xanax since 2005, I take .5 up to 3 tabs as needed(I was having panic attacks) - Zoloft for depression, then I take Lisinopril and another BP for high blood pressure.

So that is my list to pills and I hate taking the pain meds- but it eases thepain down enough so I can walk and move better.

Hugs Janet

Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

tazkc1 HB User

hi ya'll...when i first started taking the Neurotin,i thought at first it was taking the excrutiating pain away,but still was in a lot of pain though at the end of my work day...now with the last few days,i've been in excrutiating pain,so maybe it was that those days i hadnt worked as hard,so it seemed then maybe it was working some...but now,i will say No it dont work,and had i not had any luck with the orthopedic doctor last thursday,i was going back to my primary care doctor to tell him its not working...he told me they use that to treat for fibromyalgia...i did ask the orthopedic doctor about that tiredness being a side affect,when i already have fatigue,and he said that goes away when you take it for awhile...he told me to increase the Neurotin to 3 pills a day,but i havent been able to do that yet,as i'd have to take that second one at noontime at work,and just cant seem to remember to stop to take that pill yet...primary care gave me darvaset for pain relief and to help sleep at nite,it does neither...orthopedic doctor gave me Ultracut for pain relief,and i guess its working some,its just that once i get home from work,i'm usually asleep on the couch within a couple hours,till i get up and just go to bed,which most times is by 6 pm...and i still wake up several times in the nite...i am constantly thinking about this PPS,seems i go to bed thinking about it,and wake up thinking about it,wondering if i told the doctor something or if i missed something in telling the doctor...i'm on the computer in the morning before work still looking up links to this PPS,reading,reading,reading...i have noticed people that come and go here and tell their story,that some have had hip replacement or knee replacement,is that something we'll all go thru?orthopedic doctor said it was pretty much the inevitable...i have hardly ever taken pills,and now i feel like i got a medicine cabinet with them,and usually a one pill person,then a second if ever needed,not lately though,i take two of them Ultracut pain pills when i get home...and i'm just at the beginning,testing what pills work,so it could end up being more,from listening to you janet and ronnie on what you take...hugs back at ya's for being here with me...

Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Cheryl - Just remember what works for one may not work for others. It is like playing a game(way I think)- so don't be hard on yourself and don't make yourself crazy over this stuff- You have all of us- Back in the 80's when PPS was really starting to come about- some stories you read of what our Polio Family had to go through was horrible.

At least today we have more information to share, more PPSer's been there done that and support groups to help us. We are blessed with all of this. So do not make yourself sick over this- take deep breaths and just remmeber you are not alone. The Medical world is somewhat catching up with us(but you still have to be pro-active for yourself)

Peace within ourselves Janet

Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

crochetqueen HB User

Cheryl, Janet, Ronnie and all others. I don't know if anyone is getting my posts. I don't think I know how to use this sight real good. Anyway, I take Verapamil and a water pill for BP. Then I take a potassium pill every other day. Every third day I put on a fresh fentyl pain patch that has really helped but I've had it for about 3 yrs and as I get worse so does the pain. Now midway thru the second day of the patch I have to take at least 2 sometimes 3 Loratabs to stay 3/4 of the way eased. Then around supper I take Zoloft and my Prempro. Then at bedtime I take Ambien for sleep and just two weeks ago my Dr. put me on cholesterol med. Oh, then this new orthopedic Dr. put me on an antiflammatory pill called meloxicam for this siatic nerve problem I'm having. I don't think it helps that much but I've only been on it for about two and a half weeks. It has ibroprofin and something like celebrex. Yes Cheryl I get sick of taking all these pills and sometimes wonder if some of them are making me feel worse. Well thats my list of meds. Having a bad day which seems more often than not. LOVE YOU ALL, Phyllis

Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Phyllis

That sure is a long list, but if it helps- Hey why not. I also take the Verapamil for BP along with Lisinopril. Does that pain patch really work? My reg. MD was going to put me on that but I just told her 'no' I did not want to be too doped up(LOL) - I am the only one that can drive- My DH cannot do to Medical reasons- so I limit my driving cause it brings on alot of pain in my neck and shoulders. But I have though about trying the patch- just scared I would be in another world for a few days...

My husband has been on a transplant list for over 4 years- he remains sick but stable and if we ever did get that call, I got to be on my toes sort of speaking..

Hang in there- I am afraid I may have to also go on a chlorestorol(sp) pill - I am blowing that blood test off right now- LOL. So many side affects from those pills alone.

Hugs Janet

Closed Thread