It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
(male)

bob51 HB User
new to the board

good morning everybody. my name is bob and im new here,was happy to find this board.i got polio in the early 50s to.i worked very hard for 40 years as an auto techniction and have recently had to stop working because of pps. reading everybodys story is so close to my heart because its like its explaining my life. looking forward to get to know all of you better.thank you very much...bob

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

crochetqueen HB User
Re: new to the board

Welcome aboard Bob and yes its just like reading about yourself. Even tho we're different we are so much alike. What are some of major problems right now? I had a lousy week-end. Just ached all over but still glad to be here and feel very blessed. Cheryl I'm thinking about you working in the cold today and hope you have a good day. Was it Jan or Janet talking about going to the pool. By the time you get dressed, go, get undressed, get dressed again, go home I'm just not up to that. I have just gotten to weak. Church on Sunday morning, Wal-mart when neccesary, and an occasional movie and out to eat is about it for me these days. Oh forgot the glorious Dr. appts lol Have a good day everyone, Phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

tazkc1 HB User

hi bob,welcome aboard too...and yes phyllis,i had a long day at work,durn pain moves all around,today it was the topside of my leg above my knee area,and one day it might be the thigh area,and one day it might be more so in my knee...and now its bursitis on top of that too...ya know,i may work in the cold but i move around sooo much in the shop,and i wear a light jacket under my white frock,that the cold doesnt get to me too bad,and then there are days that it does...when i just stand at the block cutting meat and touching cold meat,wet hands,wet gloves,i get cold then,and sometimes the calf in my polio leg will ache,like cold muscles...its the constant walking here,there,everywhere that gets my leg to hurting...

well bob,i know exactly what you mean when we all sound like your life,cuz i thought the same thing when i found this board too...and we are all differrent kinds of people here,but we sure have a lot in common too huh...i am a meatcutter who works in the cold environment,and when i found out about this PPS,i hear the cold is not good for me,it brings on this PPS...and this is my job,so this is definitely a mental rollercoater for me right now...i just actually got diagnosed with this PPS last week,but so far,nobody has even mentioned the possibility of going on disability to me,more like i need to change jobs or cut back my hours...its not like i'm ready to go on disability yet neither anyway,but its becoming more a possibility of that,than retirement is i see...so how did polio affect you bob,as i've learned thru here,that it affected some in differrent ways...never knew that before cuz i never knew anyone who had polio in all of my life,till now...and i sure didnt talk about it...

thank you for being concerned phyllis,and i know janet is somewhere around too,lol...hope you're feeling better too phyllis,and sure hate to see you having a bad day...well i need to try to muster up some energy to do something before i lay down on that couch...see ya'll later

Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Welcome aboard, Bob- seems more and more PPSers/Polio Survivors are coming out of the closet(sort of speakin') - meeting another PPSer is truly amazing - because you know when you have eye contact. I have only met one lady- but we just knew - such a wonderful experience..

Seems we are all in different type phases and also seems everyone that had Polio will in time have some type of PPS. such a bummer- but we are strong as we were when we had the initial Virus.

It is so hard to explain to our friends, loved ones - because one day you may look good and be able to function to a degree then it all hits you. I find this one of the most difficult journey's in this new PPS life as I think others do ,too. My loving hubby tries to understand, but I know it is hard- plus I take care of him when he is having Bad days- becuase he is on a transplant list...

Well glad to have you aboard- here we can share our feelings and people Really know what we are going through.

Hugs Janet Phyllis it is me that is starting PT- I know what you mean about the pool getting dressed and undressed numerous times- There are days it I have alot of trouble putting on simple clothes- so I may stay in my PJs on those days - LOL

Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
(male)

bob51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazkc1 View Post
hi bob,welcome aboard too...and yes phyllis,i had a long day at work,durn pain moves all around,today it was the topside of my leg above my knee area,and one day it might be the thigh area,and one day it might be more so in my knee...and now its bursitis on top of that too...ya know,i may work in the cold but i move around sooo much in the shop,and i wear a light jacket under my white frock,that the cold doesnt get to me too bad,and then there are days that it does...when i just stand at the block cutting meat and touching cold meat,wet hands,wet gloves,i get cold then,and sometimes the calf in my polio leg will ache,like cold muscles...its the constant walking here,there,everywhere that gets my leg to hurting...

well bob,i know exactly what you mean when we all sound like your life,cuz i thought the same thing when i found this board too...and we are all differrent kinds of people here,but we sure have a lot in common too huh...i am a meatcutter who works in the cold environment,and when i found out about this PPS,i hear the cold is not good for me,it brings on this PPS...and this is my job,so this is definitely a mental rollercoater for me right now...i just actually got diagnosed with this PPS last week,but so far,nobody has even mentioned the possibility of going on disability to me,more like i need to change jobs or cut back my hours...its not like i'm ready to go on disability yet neither anyway,but its becoming more a possibility of that,than retirement is i see...so how did polio affect you bob,as i've learned thru here,that it affected some in differrent ways...never knew that before cuz i never knew anyone who had polio in all of my life,till now...and i sure didnt talk about it...

thank you for being concerned phyllis,and i know janet is somewhere around too,lol...hope you're feeling better too phyllis,and sure hate to see you having a bad day...well i need to try to muster up some energy to do something before i lay down on that couch...see ya'll later
well i was thirteen months old and started to learn how to walk,one day my legs gave out and my mother just thought it was my learning to walk so she picked me up but i couldnt stand on my feet.she took me to the doctors and they said i was paralized from my waist down and would never walk again. but to make a long story short with medicine and lots of therapy i was able to start walking again. my left leg was one half inch shorter then my right so i have walked with a limp all my life. it has been hard working as an auto techniction for 40 years in the cold and in the heat on concreat all day long,but im thankful i was able to for that long.i hadnt even heard about pps until one day i went to a nerve doctor ,and following him to the exam room my legs gave out and he asked me what happened and i told him i had polio when i was young ,he ran a bunch of tests and told me about pps. a couple of years ago i stared feeling myself getting weaker and weaker and then it got to the point where i cant stand for more then a few seconds or walk more then ten feet. it got to the point where i couldnt do my job anymore, and yes i too have lived with pain all my life ,more now then ever. thats about it for now,thank you all for letting me tell my story ,and its a pleasure to meet you all....bob

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
(female)

crochetqueen HB User

Cheryl my heart goes out to you. I know you are in a bad position and I'm such a worry wart. Please take care as much as possible. Bob, when I read your post tonight I my jaw just dropped. I was 11 months old and just took myfirst steps, mom took me off the bottle, and believe it or not I was just potty trained. I got a fever and on the 3rd day couldn't even stand up. I was diagonosed from the waist down and said I'd never walk but here I am, soon to have my 60th birthday and 20 surgeries later. Aren't we blessed. Love you all, Phyllis

Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #7
(female)

tazkc1 HB User

hi bob,janet,phyllis...i too walk on concrete all day bob,and is what gets my foot to hurting really bad,and when that happens,it then causes my good foot to hurt,so then both my feet hurt so bad,i barely can walk out of my store at the end of my shift...i also develop these bone growths on that bad foot now,have had 3 surgeries due to those and the last two were only three years apart too...the foot pain i have i think is joint pain...so what kinda tests did this neurologist do on you bob,as i go see a neurologist in two weeks myself,and wonder what he will do...the orthopedic doctor i saw a couple weeks ago,referred me to a Physiatrist and to a Neurologist,i saw the Physiatrist last week,so the Neurologist is yet to come...

hope everybody is doing well...cheryl

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
(male)

bob51 HB User

hi cheryl, he mainly checked my motor skills and checked my reflexes at my knees and ankles, then he held my legs one at a time and asked me to pull on them and then push towards him. they were so weak he couldnt belive i could walk at all. but i walk with my knees locked have for years. i hope your feeling better today cheryl ,take care of yourself....bob

Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
(male)

bob51 HB User

hi phyllis,hope your feeling good today,yes we are very lucky my dear lady, we fooled the best of them lol. take care of yourself and have a wonderful day and may god bless us all ...bob

Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
(female)

tazkc1 HB User

hi bob,phyllis,janet,ronnie...just got home from work and yes i am in a lot of pain,only today the pain is on the side of my leg just above my knee and goes to the back of my leg...cant tell what i do differrent,that causes me pain in varying areas like that...and alwaysss the bottoms of my feet hurt so bad,i can barely walk,but its when my bad foot hurt that it causes my good foot to hurt...thought it was the shoes i was wearing for awhile,and bought several differrent pairs over the past few months,and i've come to the conclusion that its not my shoes,its my feet and walking on concrete...i dont hurt like this on my day off,but i'm not on my feet the whole time neither though...but,for everytime i sit down and get up,i go thru that pain till i take several steps,and then the pain lessens up some,tillllll the next time i sit down again...if i'm in so much pain,i would say this Neurotin and these pain pills arent doing the trick neither...

bob,i've heard those manual type tests to test strength isnt real accurate,but then your legs being so weak,might have been enough to tell...i heard its best to have some kind of machine do the strength and endurance test to get a good accuracy...i dont think i've experienced too much weakness in my good leg yet,although a couple times in climbing stairs,i noticed something...i usually use my arm to help climb and pull me up stairs,where this time,i was actually using my leg to do the climbing and it got to feeling kinda strained above the knee...i've heard those machines are hell on a polio leg,as we cant endure that much anyway...i too,lock at the knee,but never realized before i did that,till i started reading about this PPS and Dr. Bruno's book...i sure notice it now,lol...dont know how this neurologist will do it,but i know one thing,i sure wish i had thought to get a later appt.and if i werent so doggone tired and in pain when i get off work,that woulda been the best time to get the appt...i couldnt push a feather by then,lol...also too bob,when i first started reading about this,and reading dr. bruno's book,i learned about myself,why i am the way that i am,which then explained why i am the way that i am,lol...only thing is,we're all this way...never heard of "type A" personality before now...

well i'm pretty well done in,so am going to vegetate now...hope ya'll are doing good...cheryl

Closed Thread