It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

Neldalee HB User
The 3 types of polio

Ok, I found them.
But, really, it's still only two.

There are 3 types of paralytic polio:

Spinal polio *
This is the most common form of paralytic polio, and it accounted for 79% of paralytic cases from 1969 through 1979 *
It can cause paralysis of the muscles in the arms and legs, as well as the muscles that control breathing

Bulbar polio *
This severe type of polio affects the cranial nerves that control seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and swallowing
It can interfere with any of these functions, but is most likely to affect a personís ability to breathe, speak, and swallow; it can be fatal without respiratory support

Bulbospinal polio *
This is a combination of two types of polio: bulbar and spinal paralytic polio
It can cause paralysis of the arms and legs, and may also affect breathing, swallowing, and heart function
~~~
So, the third one is simply a combination of the other two!

Nelda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: The 3 types of polio

[Nelda Thanks for the info. - Isn't it wonderful having the internet.... Gosh, what we do if we did not have this....

Hope all you gals have a wonderful Mothers Day - and guys hope you have a nice day!!!!!

Hugs Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

tazkc1 HB User

hi janet,nelda,phyllis,and everybody...hope everybody is doing great...nelda,the way i understood that EMG doctor,is he was saying there were differrent types of PPS,that the "old polio" was actually coming back,was one of the differrent types...but of course,i didnt think to ask him what other types were there,and i was still kinda dumbfounded on him saying that too...had heard in reading that some think its the "old polio" coming back,but had been discounted too i thought...and before i realize it,he's leaving...he thought that was good too,that it wasnt coming back on me...but,i beg to differ here,i never had real problems with my leg before now,other than no muscle strength and limitations of course,my problems and surgeries were all in my foot...and now i durn near cant go a day without some kinda pain and tiredness in that leg...and when that leg tires out,it affects other areas then...

well i just saw my physiatrist for the second time today,and NO MORE strengthening exercises for me ...if i want to continue to do hip strengthening exercises,she said i could,and she'll recommend he do stretches with me,instead of strengthening...i'll go first and give it a chance,but i can stop anytime too...and this woman has me diagnosed with PPS,and my MRI came out fine too,which the neurologist will be surprised because she almost expected something to be going on there...and my physiatrist saw me at my worst today,after a day of WORK,and she had me walk for her,and my knee even gave it out once and lost balance that the wall helped me gain it back,lol,and she's now thinking maybe a short leg brace
might be useful,as she thinks its my ankle causing my knee to do that...it wont go up to my knee though,if i understand right...so now thursday,i got another APPOINTMENT,lol,with a brace doctor...these appts. are hell trying to keep track of,had to cancel my primary care doctor appt. so i could make this appt. with the brace guy...my knee never gives out when i want it to,lol...i'll see my physiatrist again in six weeks now...she's also referring me to some vocational thing that helps people get into a differrent kinda field,so i'm going to go check it out...she too is aware,i'm going to do this as long as i'm able to,and what really stinks about all this,is i was a meat wrapper all these years,seven months ago i finally decide to become a meatcutter,so i could make their kinda money and retire at 62,and save up for that in the time i got left...and even my boss thinks i can do this apprenticeship early too...i willll make it too,just dont know how long after i'll make it though...i worked on the saw all day saturday and sunday,and both days when i got off,my hip really hurt,and the next morning getting up,still hurt,physiatrist says i'm overusing my hip...well guys,i'm going to go take a hot bath and vegetate...ya'll be well...cheryl

Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Cheryl - I am glad you went and the doctor seen you at your worse. They need too... You most likely are getting an AFO brace- I have for both my legs and it goes below the knee- My left one is for the ankle weakness mostly the right one is for foot drop and also help when my knee buckles... Braces will save energy. I am so glad she decided this and saw you at your worse...

I am done with PT - she has given me strectches and some strengthening exercises- Now I can do some water therapy- the pool is at 92 degrees... awwww, I feel better being in water- will see how this goes- for maybe a couple of months..

Hugs to all Janet

Old 05-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
(female)

tazkc1 HB User

yea janet,i'm glad she saw me at my worst too,and thinking now too rescheduling my nuerologist appt. in 3 months,for just the same reason too,to let her see me at my worst...i know one thing,that the two of them do agree on the same thing,that i cannot do this work much longer,and i tend
to agree with them too...i hope this brace works because whenever they put something in my shoe that any depth to it,it causes my ankle to lock up...and
of course,my phsyiatrist didnt get the EMG results so she's going to request a copy...well guys i hope you're all doing good...cheryl

Closed Thread