It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
(male)

carlm HB User
Post polio and knee operation

A few years ago I dislocated my patella during a fall. I had been diagnosed with post polio syndrome 15 years prior but up until that time functioned well. The resulting knee injury shut down the quad muscle which was one that had been afftected during the original bout with polio when I was 6 yrs. old in 1956. Numerous attempts to restore strength in the quad via physical therapy failed. They even tried electrical stimulation which hurt like hell at the lowest setting so that was discontinued. I also have a complicating factor in that my left knee turns inward and is prone to further dislocations. Discussions with a qualified orthopedic surgeon were disappointing. He felt that an operation to correct the patella and knee angle could leave me in worse shape than before as the little strength left in the quad could be depleted to nothing. Thus rehab could be fruitless. So, what to do? My inability to walk correctly has now caused my hip to experience pain and the decreased physical activity is further complicated with weight gain that exaserbates the problem. It's like a vicious circle. Great difficulty walking leading to sendentary lifestyle and weight gain that adds more pressure to leg and hip.

So, what to do?? Has anyone with paralytic polio of the leg(s) that rehabed ever have a knee operation after onset of PPS? Are there any ways to transplant good muscle to the quad area for rehab? This is affecting the quality of my life very much and I hope a solution can be found. I live in Pittsburgh which is blessed with many wonderful physicians but would travel anywhere if something could be done. Ironically, I was admitted to Metropolitan Hospital of Pittsburgh (now Children's Hospital) which was where Jonas Salk did much of his ground breaking work. He was there when I first was diagnosed with polio. Alas, Salk's vaccine came too late to help me.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

Carl

The following user gives a hug of support to carlm:
NCmountaingirl (04-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
(male)

ronnie53 HB User
Question Re: Post polio and knee operation

Hi Carlm: At this time there is no cure for pps, The only Dr where I live that no longer practies told me years ago no matter what else anyone says to me never let anyone cut on me,( now this is just what he told me for me ). We are losing nerve endings in our bodies because polio killed off a lot of nerves and other nerves after a while sent out nerve endings or lines to the affected areas and now these too are dying off. So we have to be real careful about any operations due to the fact when the cut they destroy nerves and I can't afford to lose anymore. So before you have any surgurys be sure to really check up on it because you only have this one body and you are the only one who can make a desions as to what you want to go through> Ronnie

Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Re: Post polio and knee operation

Welcome Carl- So sorry to hear about the loss. I have muscle atrophy of the left quad- that was my Polio leg. Somedays it is like I have no feeling in this area- but I feel burning inside- weird.. I know that are doing stem research - but this could take years- I read they were trying to also be able to transplant muscle -

I would be sceptic about surgery - Not sure what you could do- but once the muscle is gone it is gone... some people think exercise could bring it back- but I can't see how?

I cancelled my neurosurgeon for my back- I have DDD, spinal stenosis and arthitis through my back- no knife for me... This really may not be contributed to Polio but I think some may be.

Keep up the chin- maybe something will come about... Reserch is being done just hope they can keep doing the research...
Hugs Janet

The following user gives a hug of support to Janet W.:
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet W. For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread