It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

Janet W. HB User
Smile Dana

Awwww, Dana how great you are going to visit with your Grandparents, I bet they are just thrilled... Sounds wonderful you have someone to fly with, I not being a flyer would not be good at all.... Always hated to fly- alot of people I know just love to fly..

So glad to hear about your house.... You will need to tell us more about it... Wish Kevin luck in getting his masters- what a wonderful man he sounds like.. I truly am so happy for you...

I would not worry about the bladder problems, I think besides the nerves being weaker we all have the age going against us also.. My sister has problems and she never had Polio or we do not know if she had the Polio for sure...She will be 56(much much older than me-HEEHEEE) I always have picked on her about that...

Well, let us know and hope you have a wonderful time.
Hugs Janet

Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
(female)

crochetqueen HB User
Re: Dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet W. View Post
Awwww, Dana how great you are going to visit with your Grandparents, I bet they are just thrilled... Sounds wonderful you have someone to fly with, I not being a flyer would not be good at all.... Always hated to fly- alot of people I know just love to fly..

So glad to hear about your house.... You will need to tell us more about it... Wish Kevin luck in getting his masters- what a wonderful man he sounds like.. I truly am so happy for you...

I would not worry about the bladder problems, I think besides the nerves being weaker we all have the age going against us also.. My sister has problems and she never had Polio or we do not know if she had the Polio for sure...She will be 56(much much older than me-HEEHEEE) I always have picked on her about that...

Well, let us know and hope you have a wonderful time.
Hugs Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

crochetqueen HB User
Wink Re: Dana

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I'm kinda like Ronnie, just haven't been feeling to good. I'll do a few things around the house and then go lay down for an hour or so. We do a lot more than people with two good legs I do know that. Dana I'm so proud for you and your family on buying a house. I know you're excited but don't overdo on the packing. Janet, how is hubby doing and have you heard anymore on your PC? All that red tape is hopeless sometimes. I got my Dr. to fill out the forms for a free handicapped license plate and got to take advantage of it for one year. Now they say they are only doing that for disabled veterans. Go figure! Carolyn I don't seem to be having the bladder problems. Mine is the opposite, I can't go. I don't know what thats all about. Afraid to say anything to the Dr. cause it will probably involve taking another pill. Hasn't it been hot. I can't stand it and don't go out much. Been trying to get some good veggies put up for this winter. I love you all and pray for you everyday. Take care love ya, Phyllis

Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

danal84 HB User

Hi Janet and Phyllis, I am glad to go see my grandparents but not happy I have to leave my girls for 3 days its just to expensive for them to fly to. Grandma and grandpa are both in there 80s and not that well so I feel like I need to see them soon, they were like my first mom and dad they raised my untill I was 16 and just now in june they move into a retirement house. I am a little scared of the trip but aunt Dawn will be with me, that will make it better. Allways its a little hard for me at the airport because of my brace in the xray machine, some times they just use the wand on me but last Christmas in LA they made me go in a room and I had to take off my brace, they took it away and left me sit there for like 15 minutes, I was sooooo scared, Kevin was with the girls and our bags and I call him on his cell phone and I was crying but finaly they bring my brace back. Good thing was we came real early so we were ok to get to the flight.

Aunt Dawn is very special, she help me sooooo much after my mom died, she is real smart like Kevin, she has a PHD degree and is some kind of consultiant for the government, she lives in VA near Washington DC. Kevin is very exited about taking his masters, he is a little worried because he has'nt been in a class for allmost 3 years but I know he will do great because he is just sooooooo smart. Even with everything that happen, all the problems I had for more than a year after my mom died, and I was in the hospital, and then later we got married sooner then our plans and Amanda was born and still he graduated college with honors in only 3 1/2 years, thats how smart he is. I hope our girls are smart like there dad, I never like school very much, if it was'nt for Kevins help, he was my tutor and thats how I past high school.

I am trying not to get to exited about the house, its still more than 2 months before we move. I dont remember if I told you there is a rec center right down the road with a pool and everything, I hope the girls can get swim lessons if its not to expensive, and its allmost close enought to walk even for me. We dont really have to much to pack and Kevins mom all ready told me she can come over every day to help me after my trip, we will just do a little at a time.

I hope yall are staying cool this summer, its real hot today here.

Dana

Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
(female)

CarolynSusan HB User

Hi Dana,

I haven't posted for a while. I've been busy trying to find the right doctor, and looks like I finally found a neurologist that listens. Still no confirmed diagnosis yet.....he thinks it is ALS but is willing to look at PPS at least.

Good to know you are visiting family. Also glad that Kevin does so well in college. I returned to college at 38 when I had 2 kids and got my bachelors degree in plant science from UCDavis, and then a teaching credential. Sometimes I don't know how I did it as a single parent. But, I wanted to be a teacher more than anything. I miss it a lot, but sure don't miss all the grading.

I am shocked that the airlines made you take off your brace. Shame on them! I know it is important to keep all of us safe, but making a disabled person remove their brace is going WAY too far. I am afraid I would have filed a complaint, but that's just me.

You must be soooooo excited about your house. It's also terrific that there is a pool nearby. I scooter to a pool that is only 1.5 miles from my house. There are lovely gardens along the way so the ride is nice. I can scooter right up to the railing to the pool, so no walking at all. I love the water.....makes me feel free. I don't swim laps....haven't got the energy....so I strap a belly band on and do some "polar bear" crawls back and forth and some stretches. Feels great.

My legs are so weak that I even use the scooter in my house now. I hope to get a power chair some day, but right now I am going to be spending all my $$ on a stair lift. I am hoping it will be installed by the end of the month.

I wish you the very best moving into your new house. Being a homeowner is pretty terrific!

Blessings,
Carolyn

Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

CarolynSusan HB User

Dear Phyllis,

I always love reading your posts. Yes, I too get really tired and take naps during the day. I never used to nap, but ya know, it feels good to take a nap! We deserve it!

Sorry to hear your bladder is stubborn. I was prescribed Detrol LA for my urgencies, but now that I have a scooter I can get to the bathroom a lot faster and don't have as many accidents. I still have to wear protection when I go out though.

My new doc is a good guy.....open-minded. I posted to Dana and told her about him. It is still scary not knowing for sure that I don't have ALS. I am supposed to go see a Dr. Miller, who is our country's ALS expert, at the Forbes Norris ALS Institute in San Francisco. He also knows polio. I sure hope it isn't a wasted trip and I get some good information from him.

Please take care Phyllis. I'll be taking those afternoon naps right along with ya!

Blessings,
Carolyn

Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
(female)

danal84 HB User

Carolyn, I hope yourable to find the right doctor, it must be very frusterating not to know what is the problem. I am soooo exited about the house but its still 2 months before we move in so I have to be paitent. Soon is my trip to CA. Maybe your right I should have complain about what happen at the airport in LA, Kevin was sooooo angry at them. They said I have to take off my shoes so they can xray and I said I cant because my brace is attached and thats when they make me take it off. Maybe they see the lift on my shoe and they need to inspect it, well they can see my leg is short and thats why the lift. I hope they dont do this to me again this time but if it happen I will be try and be more mature about it and not get all upset like I did.

The one problem with our new house is the washer and drier, they are in the basement that will be hard for me. I can do the stairs ok but not to carry laundry because I have to hold on the railing. Maybe we can get a stair lift but not now they are expensive, but my friend tell me about a laundry chute that will help, then after its done I can fold it in a basket and Kevin carry it up when he is home. I hope there not to expensive to get a laundry chute.

I think its great you have a pool near to you and you swim. If its not to expensive I want to take my girls for swim lessons. I can swim to but I dont like being in a bathing suit, it makes me upset that people stare at my leg, but maybe I will try one day.

Its hard to beleive Amanda is 4 now and in October Nicole will be 2, they keep me very busy but I loooooove being a mom. We would like to have another one some day but not right away, maybe a couple more years.

Dana

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
(female)

danal84 HB User

Hi yall I am back from my trip to CA, it was good to see my grandparents but hard to be away from my girls 4 days. Grandma and grandpa are doing ok in there retirement place, its very nice and they seem like there happy. Aunt Dawn flew with me and it was good seeing her to. On the way home in LA it was allmost a problem going though the security again, they said I have to take my shoes off, well Aunt Dawn went right back at them she said no you cant do that its part of her medical equippment, get youre supervisor. Well that never happen they just scan me with the wand like in ATL let us go. I gave her a big hug and said thankyou thankyou, then she told me Kevin called her and asked her to try and take care of me, well she read all the goverment rules and was ready for them, she is soooooo amazing. My girls were happy when I came home but I know they have a great time with there grandma to. Next week mom is coming over every day to help me start packing for moving, I am so lucky to have so wonderful family to help me. Kevin started in on his masters, he has alot of reading and stay up late but I know he will do great cause he is sooooo smart. I hope my girls grow up to be so smart like there dad. Tommorrow were going to check out the rec center near the new house and see how much it cost.
Dana

Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
(female)

Janet W. HB User

Hi Dana- So glad to hear you are home.. It was so nice for you to see your Grandparents, they must have been so happy... I am glad you had your Aunt with you, she sounds like a very caring Aunt...

OMG, packing- you make sure you get as much help as you can... Rest, when you can... It is a happy time to move to a new home but can be stressful.. Sounds like everything is in line for you.

Hugs to you Janet
Glad you are home safe and sound.

Closed Thread