It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

twothtek HB User
Wink Personal Observations

I got sick a in 1949 at the age of 3 months...all the doctors throughout my life have treated me for polio, but my mother says I had a reaction to whooping cough inoculation as doctors found no signs of polio in my spinal fluid. The end results have been the same either way. I was not supposed to live, I did and then not be able to walk, I did. I grew up thinking the polio had basically effected me from the waist down. I too had many surgeries and braces in my youth.
As I have aged and I started to have newer limitations from my body, I did less and gained some belly fat which I've found impossible to lose. About 10 years ago I saw Dr. Jacquelin Perry for a complete history and was told, postmortems showed polio effected all nerves and thus muscles to a degree. I was told that as I grew older to expect to use some sort of walking aid, but I have never been prepared for the life I'm now leading.
This year I'm approaching 60. I've grown up dealing with aches and pains and expected most of them to last for awhile then go away, but this year has been especially tough. I had rotator cuff surgery and had to sit around for 3 months. Now my legs are much weaker, knees hurt any time I walk and my back aches. These changes have lasted long enough that I do not expect them to leave this time.
After days of pain I use 800mg Motrin when I can't take it and need some relief. If I use this too often my stomach acts up. I have NOT seen anyone mention marijuana. I live in California, where it has become legal and I got my doctor to Rx it for me. My experience has been mixed. It does relieve my pain, but not as well as Motrin. I will try different strains to find one that may work better. I do find that I am not as restless and do sleep much better. I also use Melatonin as a sleep aid and it too works.
I'm sorry to read all of the personal stories of the downwards spiral of pps survivors, but the alternative to persevering sucks too. I wish us all the strength to endure with dignitary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread