It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

itrukbcuz HB User
Angry Sis/Post Polio Patient in Oregon/Doctor or help

Does anyone know of a Doctor who works with Post Polio Patients in Oregon. My sister is 43 and is having horrible trouble with muscle collapses and Sleeping among other things. She has been working as a CNA for the last 4 yrs pushing herself till it has become dangerous to the patients and fatiguing to her. She has 3 doctors who have told her she probably has Post Polio, but dont have any doctors who deal with it.

Along with all her current symptoms she was 10 months old when they were dealing with all the problems with the vaccines. She was hispitalized and all kinds of problems. My parents hung in there with her taught her to use her muscles again. Her hand eye coordination has been horrible for years. Her eyes when young would dart around in her head. She seemed to overcome some of the problems through pure determination. Others have gotten much worse (riding a bike is impossible, collapses with no notice, severe headaches,
muscle pain, cant sleep, etc......)

Doctors have diagnosed fibromyalgia,fatigue syndrome.....frustrated and ready to give up Can ANYONE tell me of a doctor to use for real help or at least definite diagnosis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

mflock HB User
Re: Sis/Post Polio Patient in Oregon/Doctor or help

Sis, I am sorry it has been two months and looks like no one replied. I have only just now joined this group. In Portland, I very highly recommend a doctor named Marie Valleroy (or second choice her partners in Rehab Medicine, PC). They are located near Good Sam Hospital downtown. She knows all about post polio and has been treating me since late 80s. She is tremendously helpful, caring, considerate of all troubles and costs, can cut thru the bs quickly to help with all matters: reaching diagnosis, relief from various symptoms in a variety of ways, assistive devices, insurance coverage for post polio, getting disability benefits if necessary, on and on. Dr. Ward at that partnership also knowledgeable of post polio but not as fabulous as Valleroy. After years of figuring out what to do, I have had some years of reduced symptoms and increased ability by taking Rx for one ultram a day for pain and fatigue; one vistaril at night for pain, muscle spasm and sleep; use an electric scooter whenever needing to stand or walk more than a few minutes or any store larger than a 7/11. My best to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread