It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
(male)

merenda2000 HB User
Risks of Nuclear Stress Test

I am a post polio survivor now for almost 15years. I have high cloresterol and triglycerides and so my primary care doctor referred me to a cardiologist and he has prescribed that I take a stress test since it has been over 10 years since my last one. The stress test recommended is a nuclear test and I was wondering if any pps person has any information positive of negative about going through the procedure. There will be no physical treadmill to increase the heart rate, but rather it is done through medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
(male)

StrangeRanger09 HB User
Re: Risks of Nuclear Stress Test

I can answer that for you. I'm a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and I do a lot of those tests. As a matter of fact, I'm doing one now!! lol. You will probably have yours done with Adenosine, which is pretty much the standard these days, although there are alternatives.

On the negative side, it IS radiation, and radiation can be bad, handled poorly, so just drink a lot of water after your test for about 24 hours and youll definately negate that aspect of it, because your body will flush it out faster if you drink more. Another negative is this test is designed to stress your heart, and if you're close to a heart attack, it could be fatal, but I've never seen this even come close to happening, and a Doctor will be there through the entire time anything like this could happen, and should be able to tell beforehand how your heart is doing through the EKG.

On the Positive side, it's a great test for your heart, because it accomplishes several different variables at once: heart wall motion, EF ( how much blood the heart is kicking out w/ each beat ), EKG, and blood perfusion to see how the blood is moving through the heart muscle itself. So its actually a 4 for 1 deal. Its also an accurate representation of how your heart will perform under stress, so you won't need to be so scared of getting your heart rate up a little if it comes out with a clean bill of health.

So if you're worried about it, don't be. Sometimes the Adenosine part can cause the patient a little discomfort, but it only last for about 8 minutes or so, and you go back to feeling normal about as soon as it's done because it clears out of your system almost immediately.

Hope this helps you out some!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

chrissie_S HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by merenda2000 View Post
I am a post polio survivor now for almost 15years. I have high cloresterol and triglycerides and so my primary care doctor referred me to a cardiologist and he has prescribed that I take a stress test since it has been over 10 years since my last one. The stress test recommended is a nuclear test and I was wondering if any pps person has any information positive of negative about going through the procedure. There will be no physical treadmill to increase the heart rate, but rather it is done through medication.
Hi there, just wondering if you have had the test yet as I am due for one this month with medication to increase the heart rate. I have had other tests before - abnormal treadmill exercise test, angiogram showing arteries too bad for bypass surgery and echocardiogram showing two mildly leaky valves. I have not been told of any risks but in view of the disease state of my coronary arteries am rather concerned!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

deezba276 HB User

Quote:
I just had a nuclear stress test and had a terrible reaction. After the test, the technician said that I would be back to normal in a few minutes. However, I got a terrible headache and began to feel very dizzy. It kept getting worse and she said it might be the lack of food or caffeine. I went to the cafeteria and got a coke for both the sugar and caffeine. Then, I began to vomit all the way home. I slept for about 3 hours and felt better after that. I don't know the cause or whether the reaction was due to post polio, but I will keep trying to find the reason for the awful reaction.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
(female)

Bond2007 HB User

Quote:
Make sure your doctor checks out what med's you should and should not take
since you are a PPS patient. I had surgery in and out in Oct 09 and began having problems with fatigue, memory, finding words, transposing words, etc. This was due to the meds. Be careful I am 57 and had polio in 1954.
Good luck.

Closed Thread