It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
(female)

rockman HB User
Re: I'm new here...

Hi, just found your post and noticed you live in tennessee, i live in maryville. You can read my post and get to know things about me. From one tn volunteer to another, have a great day. Teresa

Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
(female)

Dodie3736 HB User
Wink Re: I'm new here...

Hi again, Teresa... aren't animals especially wonderful... they do make one's life complete... we tried 3 times to have a dog when my kids were young.. but you know how puppies can be... rambunktious...and they always tripped me... especially when I was holding a baby.. so we had to let them go...which broke the kids hearts... better that than me on the floor all the time...I got around okay but you could knock me over with a feather...hahaha...but we always gave them to good families...
When our youngest daughter, at that time 13yrs, old brought a kitten into the house without my knowing... I just notice that the cans of tuna were dissappearing faster than usual..and I was the only one that ate tuna because I'm always on a blinkity blank diet...I found the kitten after about 2 weeks when I went to put the girls clothes in their room.. which they usually did... I told them they would have to let her go... Well beg they did and I gave in... but told them.. If she trips me just once... out she goes... well believe it or not, we had Tanya for 14 yrs... and never once did she trip me... It was like she knew... and when the kids grew up and left home.. Tanya stayed with us until she got sick...Now you know the rest of the story.
We all have our storys... funny or sad.. and its good to share...It's nice talking to someone who is going thru the same thing I am going thru.. my friends really don't understand, even my doc doesn't understand.. so I tend to keep my pain to myself...This is a good site to talk... talk to you soon,
HUGS Dolores (Dodie)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #18
(female)

Dodie3736 HB User

Hi again Teresa... You did ask me how I was doing for thanksgiving... I'd like to shoot the guy that came up with the idea of the phrase.. "The Golden Years".. yeah right... between all the aches and pains... there is also forgetfullness... Well we are having Thanksgiving at a friends house... and celebrating it on the Sunday after with our children in DE because they both work on Thanksgiving..
We only have 2 children near by..in DE which is about an hour &1/2 from us...
1 daughter in Colorado... and she is your age 50... and 1 in Kansas... age 47.. and youngest son in Fla... age 40... see I told you I was old enough to be your mother....Talk to you soon... HUGS Dolores (Dodie)

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi dolores, i have a hate and love relationship with thanksgiving, love to eat it, hate to cook it and clean up. Do you hate having your family not livclose to you? I lost my mother in 2003 and my father 14 months later. I miss them so much, i could never pay them back for all them did for me. I have 3 older sisters (who have really stepped up and help me out) and 1 younger brother (who really was a pain in the but growing up) we have a special bond because we were brought up together. I am so glad to have a family, i never had any children but do have a step son age 21. Are you still able to walk and drive and do you remember the pain you experienced when you first had polio? I will talk to you later, my 90 pound boxer and 12 pound malti-poo are both trying to get on my lap. Teresa

Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
(female)

Dodie3736 HB User

Hi Teresa.... I hate having my family so far away... but the girls call me at least once a week... and the grand kids keep in touch on line... as a matter of fact, my daughter (Kansas) and her daughter & family were here for a visit in June... I hadn't seen her since 06..when we took a car trip out west for a month to visit them,my daughter and grands in CO and my sister in MO and friend in AZ.. of course there's not much I can do anymore... my husband,(God Bless him) takes care of everything... and he is 83... but when the girls come over, they take over to give him a break... I kinda supervise..lol.....I walk w/crutches and use a scooter to get around stores... I still drive... w/hand controls..I got my first set of hand controls 34 yrs ago, when all the kids and their friends chipped in for them for our anniversary... and I won't give that up..as long as my hands & forearms work.. ... the doc told me to get into a wheelchair but I'm not ready to give up just yet....that's why they call us "survivors"...
I don't remember the pain at the beginning... just what my mother told me.. she said I was just shy of the iron lung... so I've come a long way, baby...lol
Thank goodness, I only have a cat... I don't think I could handle a 90pd
boxer on my lap.. now the malti-poo I can.... take care of yourself.. talk to you later... HUGS... Dolores

Old 11-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
(female)

CherPPS HB User

Hi Nancy (kanndogirl),
Thank you so much for your wise words on the disability. I do have a great doctor that studied under Julie Silver MD who wrote the book Post Polio Syndrome for Survivors and their Familes. I just went from full time to part time at work but now that I heard from you I'll have them put me out to get the application thru. I will be back in touch with you but I want to Thank You so very much. It makes me so happy to have people like you to talk to. Someone who really understands and lives the same pain and problems as I do. It makes me cry!
I'll let you know how I make out. I'll probably work until the new year.
love and prayers,
Cher

Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #22
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi delores, with all our technology you are able to stay in touch with your family.......would not your mother be amazed at what we are able to do. I hope you are going to have a wonderful thanksgiving......i will have my great niece with me(name brianna 11, going on 25). She will be a great help and i will use those young legs and arms. I use my scooter all the time and have pain and weakness in both arms, have swallowing problems. I hate to clear my voice all the time and i know it is not pleasant for family and friends to hear. I have very nice and polite family and friends, except for one sister.....name mary who has trouble hearing it......she is my cross to bare......they have to be one in the bunch.....talk to you later, teresa

Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #23
(female)

Dodie3736 HB User

Hi Teresa... see I've learned something new from you... the clearing of the throat... I didn't know it was related to Polio... I hate doing it... especially when I'm driving... usually grab a cough drop to quiet it... my friends & hubby just ignore it... which is a good thing... but it bothers me... Tell Mary to "go sit on it"...lol......I ordered the book...The Polio Paradox... a used one in good condition... I probably will learn alot more than I know now when I get it...When I found out about PPS, I figured nothing could be done about it so I looked no further and there seems to be so many things that come along with it, that I don't know of..... You have a wonderful Thanksgiving... I give thanks everyday for all the years that I had raising our children... so now I can handle whatever happens to me ... God Bless you... HUGS.. Dolores...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi doroles, happy thanksgiving and i hope you will not gain an ounce of weight on turkey day. Talk to you later, teresa

Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
(male)

ambadeavinash HB User

Hi Dodie,

God bless you...it takes lot of courage and determination to carry yourself through all these years..I am newbie to this msg board...

Good to be a part of a forum like this at the not a very early stage of life ..i am 28 years old man with polio been struck at a age of 1.5 years (I guess you would not like to check my age..now..

Had heard about stem cell therapy that could be a possible cure to polio cases like me

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
(female)

Dodie3736 HB User

Hello ambadeavinash... How about a easier name to call you...My name is Dolores... Dodie is a nick name...
You say that you are a 28yr old man???... you are so young.. I guess the vaccine was not available to you...How bad do you have it... do you get around on crutches or are you in a wheel chair????...
I am 73 yrs old and have had it since 1938... and the only way to handle any problem that comes along with it, is to have a good outlook... and know that you can do anything...sometimes with a little bit help or sometimes a lot of help ... but you can have a good life...I think it is a little too late for me to even consider stem cell therapy... but if it will help you... go for it...
Keep in touch... It is so good to be able to talk to everyone out there who is going thru the same problems... only if you have gone thru something, do you understand it...Nice talking to you.. & God Bless you... Dolores

Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #27
(female)

kanndogirl HB User

Hi Everyone - just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Don't know who all lives in the areas that has winter (haha)snow, ice and dampness - the weather changing days really take a toll on me, can ususally tell it's one of those damp, cold days before I even get out of bed

Cher, do you have your disability from work ready to go full time yet? I think you will find the stress relief very interesting - me, I knew I had stress, but didn't realize how much until I was home full time. Let me know how things are going.

Dodie, you are certainly an inspiration to all of us.

I recently got a free ******** of Julie Silvers book and have been reading in spurts. It is very good. I wonder if maybe someday we can read these things without all the tears It bugs my roommate when she hears me crying, and she makes me stop reading and gets me out of the house - at least it makes her feel better.

All of you take care.

Nancy N

Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #28
(female)

CherPPS HB User

Hi Nancy,
I am out of work for 2 weeks right now because of stress. I am going to my polio doctor on Monday to start the Disability going. I'm hoping he will keep me out of work so the application can go thru. I have been on anxity pills along with all my other meds, but this week I haven't needed them. Thats what my crumby job does to me. Along with PPS I also have diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, thryriod disese and carpel tunnel. So I think I deserve a break fom work. I worked full time all my life but now the pain is taking over. Thanks for your support. I'll let you know of my progress.
love & prayers,
Cher

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: don't need these quotes - please try using the Quick Reply button instead

Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #29
(female)

Dodie3736 HB User

Hi Nancy... I sympathize with you and your weather...I feel it even before it starts.... it is snowing right now here.. and baby it's cold out side... and I'm cold too...the dampness goes right thru me even inside w/the heat up... so I wear heavy sweats... I cannot get out in the snow at all... all that slipping and sliding ... so Christmas shopping is put on hold for now..
I finally got the book "The Polio Paradox." and reading the coverlet, started me bawling...I started thinking of all of you young folk out there w/PPS and what you are all going thru...There were times I thought I was the only on going thru this and now I hear all of your stories and my heart goes out to every one of you....and I am so proud of you all for hanging in....

Cher... how is it going w/dissability???? I hope you get it soon... just hang in there...your break will come soon... I think of you often and pray that you can handle everything that comes along w/this dang PPS..take care of yourself..
God Bless you all... HUGS Dolores

Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #30
(female)

rockman HB User
Smile Re: I'm new here...

Hi everyone, hate cold weather, all i want to do is go to bed and turn on electric blanket. Heard on the news we are going to have a cold winter......i have an idea, lets all pool our money and buy a tropical island......i will be the first to donate $1.00. Keep warm
teresa

Closed Thread