It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
(female)

rockman HB User
post-polio

HI, HAS ANYONE FOUND SOMETHING NEW THAT WORKS FOR YOUR PAIN AND WEAKNESS. I AM HAVING PAIN AND WEAKNESS ALL OVER MY BODY. JUST LATELY HAVING TROUBLE SWALLOWING AND I AM ONLY 50.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

sue 5678 HB User
Re: post-polio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
HI, HAS ANYONE FOUND SOMETHING NEW THAT WORKS FOR YOUR PAIN AND WEAKNESS. I AM HAVING PAIN AND WEAKNESS ALL OVER MY BODY. JUST LATELY HAVING TROUBLE SWALLOWING AND I AM ONLY 50.

I am sorry to hear about your pain. I too suffer from pain and weakness all over my body.
I wish i could be more help to you, but what i do is rest ALOT. when I am in pain, i find that lying down with a heating pad, where the pain is most relevant helps.
Do you experience twitching in different areas of your body? I do and doc. can't seem to explain.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi sue, i have twitching all over my body for years, i think it is the nerves in our body. I do take lyrica and keppra for nerve and muscle pain. Lyrica is wonderful. I am in a scooter full time now. Take care, teresa aka rockyman1

Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

sue 5678 HB User

I take lyrica also, and it does help, i do still do heat, and rest alot. i am getting to where in the near future i may need a scooter also there are days where it is so difficult to walk and move around, i am barely 39 yrs old, so i get really scared of what my future will bring.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi sue, how many times have you heard from a doctor you should not have polio. I never want to hear those words again from a doctor. Take care, teresa

Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
(female)

sue 5678 HB User

I am the one who pretty much told my doc. that i thought i might have post.polio syndrome and we took it from there, now we are in the process of finding all that is wrong with me, due to having polio as a child. It has been such a difficult process, and painful to say the least. DO you have any other ailments besides polio?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
(female)

rockman HB User

I have joint, nerve and muscle pain all due to post polio I do not have any other medical problems, which I'm grateful for and my age is 50.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
(female)

sue 5678 HB User

I recently was sent by my doctor, to get 5 test done, they are possible ailments, that i may have due to polio, they are arthritis , lupus, thyroid, and how much muscle damage i have. I don't think I have all these things wrong but he is wanting to make sure. I have already been diagnosed with spondelothesis of the lower spine, & degenerative joint disease and of course, having nerve pain and muscle pain. a
All caused by having polio.
I just hope that will be able to walk for many years..
Are you still able to walk?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi, i can walk very little, maybe from one room to another. I have been using a scooter since 1999. I have used a scooter full time for five years. Miss walking, and really miss driving. I have wonderful husband, family and friends so i am lucky. I have discovered a love for dogs, if i was still working that would not have happened. I now have three in my home, ringo bassett hound mix, dolly, maltese and poodle mix, and then there is buddy, our boxer. We lost our first boxer named rocky, we missed having a boxer and we rescued buddy. Trust me all dogs our different and we found out with buddy......sorry to talk about my animals so much. Take care, teresa

Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
(female)

sue 5678 HB User

I am glad to hear you are happy, that gives me hope. I too, have a wonderful family, i have 1 son who is more than i could hope for, he is a senior in high school this year i am proud of him. I have a great husband who has always been supportive of me.
I don't have many friends though. I worked as a childcare director for many years, until i wasn't able to anymore.
I stay home now.
I love dogs, but right now is not the time for me to have one, i feel like i am still adjusting to my new life. But i am hopeful that i will eventually enjoy what i am able to do now and that is to be free.
If I were to get a dog, it think it would be a minature schnauzer!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
(female)

sassy43 HB User

I had polio in 1945,age 2 years old,had it centrally located in my spine,the only thing I could move were my eyes,was in an iron lung for about 2 weeks,the only hospital that would take me was called Catagious diease hospital.I have suffered with leg pains,spasms,neck pains back pains , have also had heart surgery,they said it was a virile infection of the heart muscle,doctors thought it could have been ,from me having had polio.I can still walk and get around,I have my bad days,that sometimes last 2 weeks and other times only a day of two.My husband, says I am a hypocontriact,because I don't feel good alot of the time. I never go to the doctor,because they really can't help me.I wish doctors knew more about this condition.

Last edited by sassy43; 09-30-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi sassy43, i worry about my heart for three reasons, i am inactive, i have a lot of pain in both arms and my left has the most post polio pain, and the last is because i am from the south. Have a good day, teresa

Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #13
(female)

rockman HB User

Hi sue, i wrote a reply and i hit a wrong key or something and my reply was gone. You can tell i am not a computer genius. I hope you find something new and interesting to do. I have become a news hound. I will be your post polio friend and i understand your pain. Take care, teresa

Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #14
(female)

sue 5678 HB User

HI Sassy, it's nice to meet you! I totally understand your pain, I have good days and bad days, that sometimes last for days, and somtimes only 1 day, but i think that if we get plenty of rest, and really listen to what our bodies are saying, for the most part we will make it, after all we are survivors.. SOmetimes it's not easy, to be in this condition due to so many people not understanding how we feel. And i do totally agree with you, i wish more doctors understood our condition. I have asked my doctor a some questions in the past, and he has honestly responded" I don't know, only time will tell". ALthough so far he has been a great doctor, and is really trying to help me feel more comfortable and with less pain, i guess that's all i can ask for.......

Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #15
(female)

sue 5678 HB User

HI Rockman! Thank you for being my friend! I need someone who can relate to what we are going through....
I am in the process, of starting to sew, although i am concerned, I won't be able to press, the pad to make the machine sew,,, due to my right foot being so weak. but i am going to try this weekend! I also am a big doll collector! I love my babies, i also read alot.
I think my thing is.. socialization, i really don't have it.....
but for the most part, i really am happy, especially now that i have made friends through this website!

Closed Thread