It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

storden HB User
I am having neck and shoulder pain: is it post polio?

I had polio about 60 years ago and have a lot of neck and shoulder pain. Not sure if this is post polio or not, what do others think.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

sue5678 HB User
Re: I am having neck and shoulder pain: is it post polio?

Sorry to hear that your having pain... I had polio at the age of 2 mths. It affected my right limb however the pain is pretty much all over, and yes it's in my neck and my shoulders, my left shoulder seems to be the most affected by muscle pain. not sure why. So in my opinion it's due to post polio.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

storden HB User

Thanks for reply. I have massage, and do therapy all the time. Been taking Celebrex and thought it was helping but the last few days it is not helping like I had hoped.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
(female)

sue5678 HB User

Sorry to hear that the celebrex isn't working for you... to my understanding it's tough to find meds that work for us... i just try to keep myself from feeling any pain, I am on lyrica, and take advils and i use heat alot that seems to help although not all the time... good luck

Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
(female)

storden HB User

My shoulder is so sore right now. I have been working on our church scrapbook and cutting has made it very sore. So am not doing anymore, I will give it time to rest. Thanks for message.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
(female)

arogerskid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storden View Post
I had polio about 60 years ago and have a lot of neck and shoulder pain. Not sure if this is post polio or not, what do others think.
Sorry to hear about the pain. Unfortunately we have some common ground...neck/shoulder pain (for about a year) and length of time since original episode.

With no definitive test(s) for post polio syndrome or related issues, the only thing to do is eliminate other possibilities. In my case CT, MRI, x-ray of neck and x-ray of shoulder were used to see what might be eliminated as a cause of the pain. Mine was largly influenced by disc/vertibrae deformation C4 through C7 and strain of the ligaments in the shoulder (rotator cuff). I will need surgery for the disc/vertibrae at some point. Currently taking PT with heat and ultrasound for the shoulder (progress is beyond slow but is detected) and Mobic for the pain. Oh, I have osteoporosis, too. Would be very surprised if osteoporosis is not more frequent in polio survivors than general population.

Suggest you make a little spreadsheet or notes about what helps (rest vs exercise, time of day/night it is best/worst, etc) Such helps to track and convey more concise info to doc's.

Hope you find a non-polio cause that can cured or managed.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
(female)

storden HB User

I will do that. I do know I have been cutting and do the church scrapbook and my shoulder and arm is very sore. I am been very careful to rest it. I use Arnica to and do get relief from that for awhile.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

hot mama on whe HB User

I find that keeping warm definitely helps. I had polio at 4years old almost 67 now. I though I was paraplegic but after being tested for pps I found that I was a quadriplegic. I had to learn not to over do with my arms. I walked with crutches for years using my arms. I'm now in a power chair but still have to use my arms all the time. I do not have pain in my legs but my neck and arms will ache at night if I've done too much.

I am a professional oil painter. I run with my son an antique shop. I love to cook and to write. I still drive. I am very lucky not to hurt more. I too avoid medications. Night time pain relievers help. I can not sit up or roll over without using my arms so I am exerting them even at night. I'll wake up with my arms aching but once I'm up it seems to go away or I'm too busy to notice. I also take care of my 90 year old mother, who took care of me many many times. I do feel fatigue and exhausted at times. The first time I noticed the pain I had over done and I thought I had the flu. It was an allover aching. Good attitudes help.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
(male)

Newest guy HB User

Yes, I had polio at age 6 and I'm 67 now. I too have shoulder and neck pain in my right side. Mine seems to be from my right arm just hanging there all these years, used to be able to get some relief by resting or holding my right arm up in its rotator cuff. Not anymore, Aleve seems to help at times, cannot sleep om my right side due to the discomfort now. I to have been diagnosed with severe osteoporsis and have started taking daily injections of "FORTEO", a new bone building product with a side effect of joint pain. Which I am presently experiencing. My doctor says as long as I can take the pain should keep doing it. As far as PPS, hard to say if its PPS or old age catching up.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #10
(female)

CherPPS HB User

Storden,
Hello I had polio in 1959 at 3 yrs old. You have to find a doctor to help you. Mass. General hospital has doctors that specialize in post polio.
Good Luck and God Bless,
CherPPS

The Following User Says Thank You to CherPPS For This Useful Post:
Newest guy (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
(female)

storden HB User

Yes I say it's "living." I am taking 2 narcotics and do not like that much meds but it is helping. So that's it for now. Thanks for writing.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
(female)

CherPPS HB User

Storden,
Keep the faith. I know its bad and makes us mad for haing to live this way. I am also a Diabetic so I take 22 meds and 7 insulin needles a day. It's a job keeping all that straight and then take my blood sugar 4 times a day. People think because I don't work that I can drive them around and do things for them that I can't. I do my best and I need lots of rest during the day. My biggest pain in in my back, hips, legs & feet, but like others my arms and shoulders are wearing out from over use. I wish you the best.
Love & Prayers,
CherPPS

Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
(female)

storden HB User

O my I can not complain not compare at all to your pain. People think if you are up and around it's OK. Pain does not show to outsiders. I am having therapy right now at a different place and I feel I am learning a lot form this therapist

Closed Thread