It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

Bof HB User
Question Post Polio Pain

Could anyone describe to me the type of pain felt by PP sufferers.

I had polio when I was 2 and although having recovered fully, for the last 15 years have been experiencing increasing leg pain and loss of stamina.

I'm wondering if this is caused by PPS. What makes the pain go away?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
(male)

Snoid HB User
Re: Post Polio Pain

Try Info at Mayo Clinic.. Good Stuff on PPS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
(female)

mcwart HB User

I am 67 had polio when I was 3 or 4. Through out the years I have had no pain except for back problems ( which were from other things) but there was a difference in the way my legs work. The last few years I have noticed definite deterioration in the polio leg. People used to say I walked loudly. I now realize it was my Polio foot flopping down. Now I get exhausted very quickly and wonder if this is caused by PPS. I do not want to take pills and it seems all the answers are referring to some drug.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
(female)

Bof HB User

From what I've read there is no medication which really helps. it seems that the only way to have little or no pain is to walk very little. this is very frustrating and getting no exercise can['t be very **** for cardiac health of muscle tone.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

mcwart HB User

I agree no walking is not the answer, I need my excercise or I will get fat AND depressed.
Thanks

Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
(female)

mcwart HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAnderson View Post
Hi,
I have suggested some symptoms of post polio syndrome. It include fatigue, new weakness and pain in muscle and joints.Chronic pain is also a symptom of post polio.
Do you think PPS has anything to do with arthritis ? My hands and feet seem to be getting more painful and more bumbs weekly.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
(male)

spicemeister HB User

Medication makes the pain go away. The disease is a progressive degenerative (rather insidious actually!) that I have struggled with for over 30 years. You are not alone. As the muscles atrophy, that's when the pain begins that you mentioned. I am 67 and hope you'll feel free to ask me any questions. Let me suggest an excellent book published by Warner and available on Amazon and other sights: "The Polio Paradox" by Doctor Richard Bruno. Take Care of yourself 1st my friend!

You'll find the book on any site that sells books.

Last edited by spicemeister; 01-09-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Help The Person

Old 01-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
(female)

mcwart HB User

thanks for your reply.

I will get the book.
mcw

Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
(female)

sue5678 HB User

yes post polio syndrome, is a very difficult condition to monitor. There is some great reading material that may help, we do need to monitor our activities and exercise. It's tough. Hang in there and God Bless

Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
(male)

titus 1 HB User

Hi, to All,
Polio is a central nerve deal, since I was 6 months old,
I have it in my left leg, lower back and lack of muscle tone makes the left leg shorter when I walk, I think it pinches off the nerve and circulation to my left leg,
For the past 3 years ive been using the TENS unit on varies parts from the buttocks down and it was very painful in the beginning, not use to that type of nerve/muscle stimulation, I could only apply it for 5 minutes, It would make the muscle twitch,
Since then ive been able to increase the duration and sleep with it on low and it helps keep my left leg warm from blood circulation / or I apply it in the morning for a couple of hours on medium. I also "Arnica"massage twice a day, +yoga
That type of activity has tone/strengthen and helped realign lower back and leg natural position when laying down, and to where I can actually apply pressure on my left leg, without as much pain, and semi support my
overweight body, for a short period of time before getting fatigued,,
It is operating better than the peg leg gait/walk that i did for over 50 years.
The damage is done, so chronic pain is always there but not as intense.
I use SAM e, plus other herbs,, Alternate health.
Ive been through all of the drugs for many years, and they stop work so good after long term use,
drugs are an epidemic any more, the young doctors dont know polio dont care much because it pretty much eradicated in the world.
There are more important patients with "popular problems"
So you can give this a try, it might help your situation.
Medical support is sparse
I feel we are pretty much on our own. Thanks for your time Good Day

Closed Thread