It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2001, 06:15 AM   #1

Memaa Brown HB User
Question Need a PPS Doctor in Port Charlotte, Fl. area

I have been looking without success for a PPS doctor in the Port Charlotte, Florida area. I had polio when I was 5 years old and was hospitalized in Soho Hospital in New Jersey in 1952. I was very lucky to be able to walk out. I have been experiencing the muscle weakness symptoms combind with the burning sensations in my left shoulder and upper arm area. I don't know whether this is old age or PPS. I would like to find a good PPS physician. I think it is time for me to establish my current situation as a baseline and receive more education on PPS. My GP says, don't worry about PPS. I am not so sure?

------------------
Memaa Brown

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2001, 09:52 PM   #2

garyaj1865 HB User
I have found a Doctor in Ocala Fl who is totally familiar with PPS. I live in Ellenton Fl. and I was just diagnosed this past week with PPS. I had Polio when I was 6 years old in 1948 and was in an Iron Lung for 2 months back then and was in the Hospital almost 6 Months. I was left with a smaller left arm and had very little use of it. I worked in Manufacturing in Supervision most of my Life with no noticable problems till 1997. I developed Back, Heart, Lung, and Fatigue that incresed as time went on. I had to Quit working last April due to weakness in my legs and arms and falling asleep on the job.My Doctors could not find the problem and kept treating the symtoms. I searched the Internet with my Symtoms and found it might be PPS. So I contacted EasterSeals in Manatee County and they told me how to find the Doctor in Ocala.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 05-04-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2001, 07:00 AM   #3

Memaa Brown HB User
Lightbulb

Dear Gary,

I am so glad you have found a physician that recognizes and treats PPS. I was 6 when I had polio. I rember getting sick in my first grade classroom and going to the school nurse. I was sick at home for a week or so, and then I remember going to the hospital for a spinal tap. It was then that I was diagnosed with Polio. That would have been in Oct. of 1953. I was admitted to Soho Hospital in Bellville, N.J. I was there for at least 3 months. I received the Sister Kenny Treatments with hot towels over and over again. I am happy to say, I walked out of the hospital with no visable signs of impairment. I was one of the very lucky children. I will contact you for the physician's information. I thank you for replying to my posting. I hope others will beocme active at this site. We all have a great deal to learn and share with each other. I really beleive that PPS factual information will assist each of us to survive "this part" of Polio.

Closed Thread