It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 05:02 PM   #1

kellyckmaks HB User
Question disability question...

Hi My step-father had polio severely when he was 18 months old. It mostly affected his legs. Now he is 54 and going through post-polio symdrome. It has gotten so bad that he can barely even walk at times. One leg is shorter and way smaller than the other. This is taking a toll on everyone because he has not been able to work because of the severe pain he has at times. He has filed for social security disibility and is scheduled to see a neurologists in June. My question is do they usually qualify people with post-polio for disibiliy? Thanks so much in advance. I'm just praying that he will be able to get it because it is taking a financial toll on my mom and the rest of the family. Thanks,
Kelly

Old 06-01-2003, 09:20 AM   #2

jsmeeth HB User
My husband began showing obvious signs of PPS in 1993. He went on disability from his employer that year and was covered by disability insurance in April of 1994. The insurance company engaged a company to get him on SSDI right away. He spent about 45 minutes answering questions on the phone and about 15 minutes filling out some paperwork. They did such a good job that he was appoved the first time through. Our situation would have been better had they not approved him. I know of other people suffering from MS who can no longer work that are fighting years' long battles to get approved, Go figure.
PS. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the company, but it is based in Michigan.
I believe that Social Security is officially acknowledging PPS as a disability. Have seem something on other websites.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 01:23 PM   #3

yakkie HB User
HI, I have been through the disability route and there are only a few disabilities (I have one) which are considered 'automactically' to receive disability payments. The disability procdure also automactically sends you one or more refussals of disability before finally giving it to you. So do not 'give-up' just because you receive this (these) refussals; it is the way the disability board does things!! No one receives full disability for a year, it takes that long to process it.
Your best bet is to look in the telephone book for an attorney who handles disability cases. The whole process is quicker and so much easier if you have a lawyer!! The lawyer will take a percentage of the check you recieve when case is settled. If you lose the lawyer gets NOTHING! and you owe NOTHING. There are laws restricting the amount the lawyer can receive, which is usually 1/4-1/3. The disability board will let you know what the lawyer CAN receive and you are to tell them if the lawyer takes anymore than what the law states.
The hard part is the full year without any income, so be prepared to support your father till then. I lived with my daughter when I became disabled and I gave her my check at the end of the year when my case was won to pay her back for taking care of me for that year. You could arrange this with your father if it will be hard for you to care for him for that time period.
Good luck. Jackie

------------------
jackie

Old 06-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #4

yakkie HB User
PS your step father will most likely be able to get medicaid and food stamps during his waiting period which of course will help with the cost of feeding him and medical expenses. again good luck

Old 07-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #5

lubdubman HB User
See postpolioinfo.com for more suggestion SSI.

Old 07-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #6

lubdubman HB User
Another thought which I read about somewhere, is to get your local federal representative to lobby for you. Sometimes its just politics.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #7

PattiBill HB User
Re: disability question...

A new law has just passed giving PPS more status. I do not have all the information at hand, but will research it and get back to you.

Closed Thread