It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 10:52 PM   #1

Wizard of Id HB User
Post New on the Site

Hi all, I've come to this forum to learn what I can about pps. I have little or no knowlege of the subject, but I think I may have it. I'm all eye's and ears.

I guess it's time for a dumb question. I'm 57 years old and had polio when I was around 4 to 7 years old. I don't recall a lot about it other than the "treatment" and being told that I had polio. I was told I had a light case of it and all was well wtih the world. Now I'm having lots of joint aches that I assumed was arthritus, shortness of breath (nothing real new to me), some difficulties in swallowing and seem to be getting more tired a lot. I read somewhere that rest seemed to be the answer. I'm a fairly active person, altho I have noticed my golf game is suffering due to the additional stiffness and pain. The only place I seem to get relief is when riding my motorcycle.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #2

PattiBill HB User
Re: New on the Site

I don't know if what I share will help, but here goes.. Your story is similar to mine. light case at 3 yrs mainly balance and lung problems afterwards. At mid 50's I worked out 3 days a week Natalus gym, swam.. started to hurt, saw a lot of doctors finally I was told it was pps. -- stopped gym, continued to swim, walk, ride bike. -- then couldn't get out of pool, then balance too bad for bike, then for walking much. Am 67 yrs old now. Use a cane, lots of pain in legs and lots of spasms. I am also a diabetic. I use a glider for exercise which works quite well. Can't find doctors who know much about pps. They con't know what to do. Just take it a day a time and do as much as you can. The big hurdle is the family. They (especially the guys have a real denial problem.. Mom can do anything!) -- Good luck, big thing, don't get discouraged! You'll have good days and bad, but you'll make it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread