It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

Adarogers HB User
post polio syndrom, pain management with methadone

Hi everyone...I'm posting this for my mom. She has suffered since 2002 with post polio syndrome and the pain has been unbearable at times. The cronic pain (and lack of info on PPS) is incredable. She finnally got a doctor to listen to her and after seeing her for over a yr he began pain magmt treatment using dosage with methadone. My mom has been a nurse, care giver, and end of life assistance most of her carrer so she is very savy and cautious using medications especially harder, addictive meds such as methadone (dont even get me started with the misinfo AND STERIO TYPEING WITH THE USE OF METHADONE, as pain mngmt "not drug treatment)!! Doesnt seem to be a good contact source (short of internet and PPS support groups) avail but I know thousands suffer the same as my mom in her age group (she's not the computer age) Just wanted to post a "test thread" to see the responses if any to hopefully begin a "coorasponses via mail (PO Boxes) group/friend list for my mom. Bottom line she just began the treatment yesterday and it is the first time she can hug her grandbabies without extreme pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

molkat6 HB User
Re: post polio syndrom, pain management with methadone

Hi, I hope your mom will feels better with the medication. I am 80 years old and had a mild case of polio in 1953. I got around very well for many years, but I believe I developed post polio syndrome about 15 years ago. I am trying to find someone who had a mild case of polio to see if the symptoms that I have are PPS or just old age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

lucky linda HB User

I had polio from the age of 1 thru 7. Supposed to have been cured & started having problems in my late 40's-early 50's. Diagnosis with
repetitive stress syndrome with pain in my shoulders, neck & upper arms that went away after 9 months. About 10 years later I sat down for dinner & 20 min later stood up & my world tipped upside down! The pain was from my left calf up to my buttock. No pain pills or muscle relaxers could control the pain. The pain was excruciating. That was 4 years ago and its been a long road. I was finally diagnosed with Post Polio Syndrome after going to many doctors. What I have found to be the very best medicine for my pain is to have acupuncture. This has enabled me to at least
have a half way decent life. I'm from the mid west & going to Az out of the cold & snow makes life bearable. Hope this helps someone. Don't give up & don't depend on the doctors. I was told that Polio was cured & there is not going to be anyone looking for help for those of us that have this disease. That once we pass on there will be no need to cure post polio syndrome.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
(male)

spicemeister HB User

Lucky Linda..you're right! We are lumbering off to extinction and I belief that to be the primary reason for the ignorance shown by the majority of doctors. They know exactly what you said..I'm 65..most of my PPS contemporaries are that age or older, "so why waste time on them?" That's a cruel, but accurate, assessment.

Getting pain relief should never be a problem..but it is for me. Hey, I live in Texas! Pray Perry doesn't become president. He'll do for Healthcare what Hitler did for World Peace! Good Luck to all my PPS friends! Johnny / San Antonio

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
(female)

Cowboymom HB User

I will never forget when I was six and had an very extensive orthopedic leg surgery. The ortho would not give me pain meds because he told my mother I might become "addicted". My mother asked the doctor what was I going to do if I did, rob a gas station?

People either have addictive personalities or they don't. My husband and I are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I have taken Norco on and off for 15 years, never had a problem. I forget to take it when I am not hurting. I haven't had any for a week with no problems.

I tried methadone and did not like it. Have your mother try subozone. It is a drug that was created to stop withdrawls from herion or other drugs like that. It has been found to be an excellent pain reliever. You may have to fight the insurance company because it is usually just prescribed for a week!

Good luck and it is no one's business what your mother is taking. I found a wonderful osteopath who is great for pain management. I always thought they were voo doo but he is wonderful!

Closed Thread