It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polio Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
(male)

Joemarq HB User
Can PPS be considered for Medical Retirement

Hello,

I am a 48 year old man living with polio since I was 4 years old. All my life, growing up with polio, I was told to try to live a normal life. My Dad (bless his soul) was a colonel in the US Army and had been my PT for as long as I can remember. He trained me to be able to walk again with little or no help with any walking devices. I grew up being looked at as if I was a freak, been teased and picked on during younger years. with this said, I learned how to block the fact that I have polio and that I learned how to hide my abnormalities by doing everything I can possibly do as if I am without disability. Basically, I did everything as a normal person without any disability would do. Little did I know that trying to live a normal life would have such a big impact in my life as I age. During my younger years, I was very active in sports, skateboarding, basketball, snowboarding..etc. I work out a lot and built a massive upper body strength to compensate the fact that I only have one good leg that actually support my body. My right leg is a lot smaller than my left leg and shorter. Through the years, I have developed arthritis on my left knee and ankle this is due to over compensating. My right hip is miss aligned and also with arthritis.

I never thought that by tying to live a normal life, it will eventually caught up with me. I worked in the technology field for the longest time and dealt with straineous and physical work that requires me to rely on my body strength.

In 2007, I started to feel different with my body and visited my Doctor, at this time I was diagnosed with PPS and was devastated. I unfortunately ignored what my doctor had told me and still went on trying to live as if I was without disabilities. Months and years past, my condition seems to worsen and I started feeling the following:

Fatigue
getting less sleep
Joints aching specially on my left knee
numbing on my right leg
Right leg got even skinnier
lost of balance
cold all the time
Constant pain on my hip due to prolonged sitting, standing and walking

Just recently, I decided to visit a new Doctor after a couple of years being diagnosed with PPS. Again, I was told the same thing and that my condition is more now than before since I have about 35% muscle deterioration and that there are no known cure for this. I was told that due to all my activities, that i made my situation worse.

I have no excuse for ignoring my doctor other than I have 3 kids and 2 of them are going to college already and I needed to be active to be able to support and carry on with my responsibilities as a father. I did not want to hear the fact that I have to slow down or else.....

Now, my doctor is suggesting for me to let my employer know about my condition. I am afraid of losing my job specially during this economic hardship most of us are in. I am afraid that if I tell them that they would try to find a way to let me go.

My questions are: can my employer decide to let me go due to my condition? Can they medically retire me? Does anyone know about Medical retirement? Does SSDI or Social Security Disability consider this as Permanent Disability?

My condition as of late:
Fatigue
getting less sleep
Joints aching specially on my left knee
numbing on my right leg
Right leg got even skinnier
lost of balance
cold all the time
Constant pain on my hip due to prolonged sitting, standing and walking

Forgetfulness
Mood swings - feeling depress
Constant fall

BTW - Since I rely on my upper body strength I just recently injured my Neck C5 to be exact and it is also affecting my right shoulder and arm. Is it true that my healing process on this will take much longer due to having PPS?

Any advice will greatly be appreciated.....

Last edited by Joemarq; 06-15-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
(female)

Speced tchr HB User
Re: Can PPS be considered for Medical Retirement

Since you live in Ca, you should consider going to the Post Polio Clinic at Rancho Los Amigos or UCLA.
I had Polio at age 5 in 1952 and have PPS. I am a teacher and gave up working with Orthopedically Impaired kids 10 years ago and work in an out of the classroom position.
I do have symptoms and try to pace myself. It is one day at a time.
Take good care,
J Welch

Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

skwirrel08 HB User
Re: Can PPS be considered for Medical Retirement

Post Polio Syndrome is actually listed in SSDI nowadays,so yes you can get on SSDI for this. I have been told by my doctors that i need to go on disability,and i keep trying to fight this,trying to keep my job too. cheryl

Closed Thread