It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

jenn1v HB User
pcos and depo-provera

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research on online regarding the depo-shot and came across some info linking it to PCOS. What is PCOS? I was on depo for 1 year and half and just finished my 12th week on March 16th. I started spotting on the 10th of this month and actually started my period on the 21st. It lasted about 5 days. I read that some the sytoms of PCOS is missed periods and hair loss. During the time I was taking depo, my period stopped and I started to have hair loss. I think i'm just reading too much info and getting myself scraced about PCOS. Before the whole depo thing I was on the pill with no problems and before that my periods were regular but I was on a 21 day cycle instead of a 28 day. If anyone has any info let me know. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: pcos and depo-provera

I have no idea, have you found anything since online? I was on depo for 11 years and didn't have a period and didn't have hair loss. Let us know what you find out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

kellyann421 HB User

How about if you are on Depo and received a period , and it's lasted 13 days so far? is this normal? this is my first injection....

Old 03-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
(female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi,

It's normal that your period will go wacky for some time when you first start depo. Mine was normal before depo and started to get lighter within a couple of months and then stopped competly by the 6th month. I had my last shot in Dec. and after the 12th week I got my period for about 5 days. Each woman acts differntly to depo. My sister-inlaw was heavy bleeding for the whole 3 months of the first shot . Let us know if anything changes for u.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

With both pcos and depo your estrogen can be low, causing the symptoms you are describing. I'm not saying there isn't a link, just that it is possible your symptoms are from depo alone.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I began Depo after having a child and stayed on it for 2 years. Prior to Depo, I had never had an irregular period. I was like clockwork each and every month! During Depo, my periods completely stopped, I lost hair, gained hair in other places, gained weight. After Depo......I experienced secondary infertility. It took me 2 years to get pregnant! The only reason I got pregnant was because I had to go on Clomid to force my periods each month because up until that point, my period had not returned!!! After having my 2nd child.......my period still never returned. 5 years after my last Depo injection, I finally had my first non-induced period!!! The only time my period was induced was during the 4 months I was on Clomid. Now, I've been off of the shot for over 8 years, and my periods are still crazy. I only get a handful a year. Oh, and back in 2000, I was diagnosed with PCOS!!! PCOS usually manifests itself at the onset of puberty...........not well into your 20's!!! I believe that Depo DID cause my PCOS! Many women have wonderful experiences.......I on the other hand, did not. I often wonder if I would be in the same boat had I never used Depo. IMO....I don't think I would be because I had never had any of these problems prior to Depo, then after Depo............BAM, every problem imaginable!

Old 04-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
(female)

jenn1v HB User

Hi Barton 93,

I feel your pain. I never had any problems before depo and since I started taking it I feel like my life is in ruins. I just came off depo a few weeks ago and had a period already, so I think that a good sign. I'm just worried that I could have more problems later. From what I have been able to find out on Depo, is that some women still have a lot of health problems down the lane. I just can't beilve that a company can make a med with nothing to reverse it. you mentioned that you had hair loss, did it take long to grow back? I just hope if anyone decides to use depo that they really look into first. Like most women that I spoke with and emailed with they all say the same thing, Doctors told them the only side effects are weight and change or no periods and that once they stop the shots everything will go back to normal. For some it's a great choice and for others it's horrible. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1v
Hi Barton 93,

I feel your pain. I never had any problems before depo and since I started taking it I feel like my life is in ruins. I just came off depo a few weeks ago and had a period already, so I think that a good sign. I'm just worried that I could have more problems later. From what I have been able to find out on Depo, is that some women still have a lot of health problems down the lane. I just can't beilve that a company can make a med with nothing to reverse it. you mentioned that you had hair loss, did it take long to grow back? I just hope if anyone decides to use depo that they really look into first. Like most women that I spoke with and emailed with they all say the same thing, Doctors told them the only side effects are weight and change or no periods and that once they stop the shots everything will go back to normal. For some it's a great choice and for others it's horrible. Thanks for your input.
Yes, it is a good sign that your period has already returned. Just make sure it continues to come each month. If you notice that it is irregular, I suggest you see your doctor to address it.

I lost a lot of hair from using Depo. I used to have beautiful thick curly long hair. Now, my hair is pretty thin. I have to wrap a scrunchy around my pony tail 3 times to keep it from falling out! That is how much hair I have lost! The hair that I have lost doesn't seem to be coming back, but I don't seem to be losing it as fast now. I still lose more than what I think is normal, but it has definately slowed down.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
(female)

SangReal HB User

I was on Depo for 9 months. Before Depo, I was always perfectly healthy, with the exception of being about 10 pounds overweight. After Depo, I have magically developed a plethora of problems, including hypothyroidism, massive hair loss, cluster headaches (rad about them, they really majorly suck), extreme weight gain, sexual dysfunction, etc. Depo is the devil. Don't do it!

I got my first shot on the last day of my period. I did not have any vaginal bleeding, no periods or anything for 10 months. I started the Pill the day I was due for my next shot. I had my period during the first row of active pills the second month - almost on time. My periods are pretty regular now, four months after starting the Pill.

PCOS: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Website That Shall Remain Nameless
PCOS indiscriminately strikes women between the ages of puberty and menopause. It is the leading cause of female infertility, and if left untreated can lead to diabetes, heart disease, and endometrial cancer. The symptoms of PCOS frequently rob a woman of her self-esteem and femininity, and can include irregular menstrual cycles, excessive facial and body hair(hirsutism), male pattern baldness, acne, polycystic ovaries, obesity/weight gain, skin tags(acrochordons), infertility, dark skin patches(acanthosis nigricans), depression.

Although some symptoms of PCOS often begin during adolescence or the early adult years, an overwhelming number of sufferers don't receive a diagnosis until they unsuccessfully try to conceive, and by then, it can be too late, as other health problems have also developed. Because the symptoms vary in severity and combination, an alarmingly large number of women are misdiagnosed for years, leading to overwhelming frustration, depression, and isolation for the polycystic woman.

Despite statistics claiming that at least 10% of the female population suffers from some form of PCOS, women continue to receive minimal attention and/or information from the medical community.
Hope that helps.

<3 Mary

Last edited by SangReal; 04-06-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
(female)

jenn1v HB User
Unhappy Re: pcos and depo-provera

Hi everyone,

I would like to say thank you for all your input on this. I never heard of PCOS before until I started looking into the side effects of Depo-provera. I can't really tell if my systoms are from PCOS or from Depo or just normal things. I have always had a problem with my weight, but I did manage to lose 50 pounds last fall and keep it off while on Depo. I have no acne. The only really bad side effect that I have is the hair loss. It seemed that my hair would fall out more faster after having a shot and it has since slowed down a few weeks ago since the end of the last shot. I'm soo confused! I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow and let her know what's been going on. Is there a test to see if you have PCOS? I'll let you know how the doctor visit goes. I'm hoping this Depo nightmare will soon be over.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

There is no actual "PCOS" test. The only thing they really can do is check different hormone levels and ultrasound.

Closed Thread