It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

grlxposed HB User
confused. lost. =(

Im 15 years old and i just got diagnosed with PCOS.. like what the hell? im so young and the threads i read are all by 20-something year olds... its just weird. im so upset. i knew something was wrong with me. after multiple blood tests and ultrasounds.. NO RESULTS of anything wrong with me until i went to my family doctor. yeah my acne is real bad. he says hes going to treat that first and then the PCOS. the doctor didnt make the PCOS a big deal at all.. i mean, I THINK IT IS. its a damn syndrome... but yeah i do have excess facial hair.. especiailly on my abdomen. and a little on my face. i get so upset over it. im sure theres medicine to help that though right? =) so yeah. im just upset. and lost.. i need a PCOS buddy or something LOL. and my breasts are hurting alot alot alotttttt.. is it connected to the PCOS? but yes, thank you to anyone who read this. repllies would be GREatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: confused. lost. =(

I would just take a deep breath. Keep in mind you need to do as much research as possible and you will feel better. If you need to loose weight, start exercising and lower your refined carbs (anything that comes from a box/bag usually made w/flour & sugar)Stick to fruits & veggies. Drink lots of water and follow your docs advice. Keep in mind modern medicine is getting so much better that they couldnt diagnosis stuff like this recently. If you asked the people diagnosed at 20s they probably have had symptoms for a while...You got lucky & got diagnosed early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
(female)

Lauren P in NC HB User

WOW! I wish I had been diagnosed when I was 15 instead of 22. I know you are feeling alot of crap about this but you have an early diagnosis, so you can get this under control before it gets way out of hand. In my teen years I always knew something was wrong too, I have always been about 10-15 pounds overweight. I had acne for 10 years, I took accutane last year to finally get rid of it after a 10 year battle with many other acne treatments.

I used to have extremely painful ovulation when I was a teenager, but no one really believed me, but they put me on the birth control pill. I was doing fine on the pill for a while then I went for 10 months without a period. So the doc said i was perfectly normal and gave me provera to start my period. That was the worst period ever! Then I was off and on birth contol pills for several years, Irregular periods, still overweight, still fighting acne. At 20 years old I started taking Depo provera shot for the convenience. I gained 10 more pounds. I took it for 9 months and then I stopped using birth contol alltogether. And i didn't have my period again until this year, I am 23.

I went to a new obgyn and she listened to my symptoms, and said it was most likely PCOS, gave me some pamplets and info, and a blood test confirmed it was pcos, and now i am using the nuva ring for birth control, very satisfied with everything. I am trying to lose weight with a lower healthier carb diet, but it is so hard to undo bad habits.

Oh when I took the acctane last year, you have to sign paperwork agreeing to use two forms of birth contol, so my dermatologist gave me ortho tricyclen, It made me so imbalanced and crazy I took it for two months and hated it. The differnet levels of hormone every week made me practically bipolar!

I am at my healthiest and happiest now. but there are other treatments for PCOS. Please do your research online and make sure you have an openminded doctor. I am planning to try other treatments such as metfornin soon, and if I need to, clomid.

oh yes, and I am a hairy girl too! i have to recommend waxing. get yourself an at home microwave wax kit to do your lip and abdomen. I still shave my arms and legs though.

it is really not so bad now that I know what it is that I have and I can plan action to treat it. I think you will do fine as well.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
(female)

Thrad5446 HB User

It's a tough thing to handle at a young age...I was diagnosed when I was 13 myself, so I know what you are going through.

Definatly follow whatever advice your doctor has, as it will help lessen any complications you may have in the future. Birth control can help a lot...there are other drugs that can help lessenthe hair, but waxing or shaving are usually the quickest options.

Best advice I can give you is to keep up with your checkups and have an exam annually. This is the best way to keep on top of it and catch any other problems you may develop from the PCOS.

If you are looking for a little support, there is another great forum out there It's completely dedicated to PCOS and they discuss everything there. Lots of help, answers and support there.

if you are interested let me know and I'll give you the link. . You will find other young girls going through it there as well

Last edited by Thrad5446; 11-15-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

allibear HB User

I know I'm quite late in replying to this thread, but if I'm allowed, I would love to give my input. I've been reading this board for a very long time, but never posted; this is my first! Alright. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I'm 20 now. All throughout high school I noticed I had a "happy trail" beginning at my belly button continuing until it blended with the pubic hair. I really didn't think anything was wrong with me; I just thought I was genetically hairier than every other girl. Well, the hair worsened and about the time I turned 19, my face exploded with acne. I never had a regular period, and after a visit with my Ob/Gyn, I came away with only a diagnoses of PCOS...not really understanding anything about this symptom (and yes, it is only a symptom; however the "S" stands for syndrome and there is a difference between that and a disease, but I'll explain in just a minute). After trying 3 kinds of birth control and many acne medicines, I'm 2 months into Yasmin and 3 months into Spironolactone. The acne is somewhat under control as I only have it on my cheeks and sides of my chin (but I am fed up with even the small amount I have, so I'm beginning Accutane December 16). Anyone with PCOS, I advise you to visit an endocrinologist. This problem is hormonally related, and not so much an ovarian disorder. Keep in mind, also, that this misnamed "syndrome" does not mean a girl has cysts on her ovaries. The follicles aren't cysts at all. See, each month a woman releases an egg. The normal, uninterrupted cycle will flush that egg every 28 days, approximately. With PCOS, the woman experiences irregular periods, ergo failing to flush the egg. This causes a "back-up," if you will, resulting in POLY-"many" follicles. The best and safest treatment is birth control, because after a lengthy period of time with no period, the cells which should have been shed monthly begin to mutate, and that's where many women run into ovarian cancer. Keeping your periods regular keeps the poly "follicles" from forming. One would think this would cure PCOS, but this is where the uneducated namers of this syndrome come into play. PCOS was named in the 1950s after women would report signs of hirsutism (excess, abnormal hair growth) along with acne and irregular periods (also, most - a reported 80% - are/were overweight). Our misguided forefathers named this collection of symptoms PCOS. The birth control helps regulate periods, but, you may ask, what about the hair and acne and weight? Spironolactone takes 6 months before it completely works on decreasing hair and making it nonexistent. I must say that my hair growth has slowed tremendously on this drug. (I'm taking 200mg/day, which is the max dose, but it isn't advised when taking Yasmin as well because of the DRSP in Yasmin. Both act in such ways as to increase K+ -Potassium- levels, which is highly dangerous, so I'm about to decrease my dose of Spiro to 50mg/day.) As for acne, this is when you want to work hand-in-hand with a dermatologist who will listen to you and try to work with you. I've been to many who blew me off, so find a good one. They are out there. Many treatments exist, the difficult and time consuming task is trying to find the right one(s) for you. As for the weight challenge with PCOS, I'm a little cloudy on this because I'm 5'8" and 123lbs. My bloodwork suggests nothing of PCOS (not elevated ANYTHING), not even insulin resistance (high insuling levels); mine were actually low, but because of the "collection of symptoms," that's the diagnoses given to me. Anyway, I've read about Metformin and Glucophage being effective in aiding weight-loss. So do check up on that along with a healthy diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, meat, grains (notice I said GRAINS...whole WHEAT does not equal whole GRAIN), and the healthy fats...if that isn't an oxymoron. Stay away from frozen foods, white flour, high fructose corn syrup, gluten, and saturated and trans fats (among other things, but I just listed what came to mind). That reminds me...the only reason HEART ATTACK, STROKE, and other life-threatening diseases are mentioned along with PCOS patients is that the majority are overweight. This is what causes those occurences. Just because you have PCOS, doesn't mean you are going to suffer from any of those. An overweight person without PCOS would be just as likely to experience these simply because they are overweight. This is not to say all of us "underweighters" are in the clear. We have to lead a healthy lifestyle as well. Remember...exercise is key no matter what age or weight you are!

Whew, I've written so much that I forgot my train of thought. I guess this is all I have to say for now. I'll post more if it comes to mind. Oh!! One very important point I can't stress enough...DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! Look up all you can about whatever may be ailing you. Get many many viewpoints. This will help not only to educate you, but will also give you a better understanding of what your doctor is telling you so that you may ask the right questions and be on the same train of thought as him/her. PLEASE do your own research!!! Most of my knowledge comes from reading others' experiences and researching tests, etc. I find myself usually one step ahead of the doctors when I go for a visit. This also helps me better determine if they are a "quack"...I use the term with all due respect because these doctors have gone to school and put themselves through a lot to be where they are. I guess a better way to say it is "...if they are best-suited to deal with my problems..."

Hope I helped a little. I know I went on and on, but if you get one thing out of this, let it be to DO YOUR OWN IN-DEPTH RESEARCH. Have a wonderful holiday, and I look forward to reading all the replies!

The following user gives a hug of support to allibear:
2441985am (06-03-2011)
Old 11-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
(female)

grlxposed HB User

OH MY thanks so much for that..lol it really did help alot. man i have no time to reply to everyones im so sorry..but yeah. im so lost not even funny.. im so confused about everything but im too confused & dumb to undersatnd some of the stuff i research on.. thing is,my doctor doesnt seem to give aflying **** about my pcos lol.... but yeah.. any information would help honestly. long long entries are very welcomed =)

Closed Thread