It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User
What does "fat around the middle" mean?

I just had an ultrasound and am waiting for the results. I don't have an official diagnosis of PCOS, but I was wondering exactly what the term "weight around the middle" refers to. Is it just talking about your waist, or does it include your hips, back, thighs etc.?

I know not everyone has all the symptoms of PCOS, but I was just curious if I could blame some of my extra pounds on the syndrome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: What does "fat around the middle" mean?

If you tend to be shaped like an apple or hold your extra pounds around your middle instead of your legs & butt is what it refers to "thick around the middle".

Keep in mind if you have PCOS you could have some insulin resistance from the extra body fat. Fat interferes w/ the job insulin is supposed to do. Insulin is supposed to move glucose from the blood and store extra as fat. If you have high blood sugar numbers above about 100 fasting and over 120 2 hrs after eating, then you probably have some insulin resistance. Also, the carbs you are eating are helping you keep and gain more extra fat.
My friend was diagnosed w/ PCOS and I asked her to try what I call a cave man food plan for 1 month. She lost 9 lbs and that in turn lowered her insulin resistance. Her blood sugar went down. Its all reciprocal.
The food plan is this, if you cant hunt it, fish it, grow it or raise it, dont eat it. For 1 month. That means nothing that comes in a box, no bread, no pasta. Fruits and veggies are a must, and eating something every 2 hrs gets your metabolism reved. So use bread as a wrapping and throw it away but eat whats in between. Milk and cheese are great. Cheese cubes as snacks, egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, shrimp salad, (dont worry about the fat from the mayo it will help you feel full)Drink water. You should loose about 2lbs a week.
You will be amazed at what loosing some pounds will do. If you have higher blood sugars it will lower them. If you have irregular periods it can straighten them out. If you are trying to get pregnant, loosing some pounds will help. As far as blaming the pounds on the syndrome, you actually could blame the syndrome on the extra pounds. But having the syndrome and the extra pounds just makes your body want to hold on to and gain more. Like I said its all reciprocal.

Its a

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread