It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User
Metformin makes me feel awful

How long does it take to get used to Metformin/Glucophage and not feel so bad? I've been on it for a week, two 500mg pills a day. I am hungry all the time, I crave sweets, and my stomach is always upset even though I take the pills with meals. I'm tired, have no energy, and want to sleep all the time. Does it ever get any better?

The Following User Says Thank You to mustangsally65 For This Useful Post:
candace5831 (05-06-2012)
Old 11-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
(female)

GP883 HB User
Re: Metformin makes me feel awful

I am on 500 mg 2 x a day. The side effects got better after 2 weeks or so. I was on the potty every hour at first and it made me feel like I was going to get sick all the time. I decided to stick it out. The side effects are still there but not enough to make me stop taking it. I took pepto for about a week and that helped alot. I was so excited and it was totally worth feeling like crap because I ovulated about 2 weeks or so after I started taking it. Before the Metformin I did not ovulate at all. Now I am on the 2 week wait to see if we are preggo

Good luck,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
(female)

GP883 HB User

I forgot to tell you that you might also want to cut down on your carb intake. Alot of people complain about eating a high carb meal and then everything passes through really fast.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

Congrats on ovulating, Lisa! That is really great!

I'm not TTC, but I am taking it primarily for insulin resistance. Thankfully I haven't had too much bowel problems, but I just have a general feeling of malaise and when I bend over my stomach feels so upset. If I don't eat every few hours I feel kind of queasy as well.

I am cutting out carbs, to help with the insulin resistance, but it is hard because I'm craving sweets! It's really great to know that you do get better.

Thanks and good luck on your possible pregnancy!

Sally

Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
(female)

jenna623 HB User

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, so to speak. I started with 500 2 x a day (for 3 months) and my ob/gyn just increased me to 850 2 x a day. I am having, though, the same thing as you in one aspect: I cannot stop eating, I am craving food, all day long. I thought that metformin was supposed to HELP with controling appetite - especially in my case, as I have very high levels of testosterone and that was what was making my appetite huge before I was diagnosed and the Dr. said this would help immensely. Well, at 1000 mg a day, it did, but at 1700, it has gone back. Totally confused on this one...but, unlike you I have had not one, and I mean NOT ONE side affect AT ALL (sorry to tell you that).

Old 12-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

I'm glad you haven't felt bad, Jenna. But I have stopped being hungry all the time. Yesterday I had a bowl of cereal, an apple, two cheese sticks, and a small frozen pizza. That was all I ate all day. And I wasn't hungry.

Have you cut down on sugars and carbs? it has helped me immensely, even though it's a major pain! Drink diet drinks instead of regular soda, use Splenda instead of sugar, and cut out white bread, potatoes, white rice etc. Eat more whole grains and more protein/fruits and vegetables.

It helped me, and I never thought I'd not be hungry all the time. Oh, and keep some sugar-free cookies on hand for the difficult times.

Closed Thread