It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

goingcrazy724 HB User
Any parents of young children with pcos here?

Hi all...I am a real newbie to this site. I am hoping someone can help me...I am tearing my hair out.
A little history:
My daughter was a VERY difficult child from birth. I had the gestational diabetes, my father has diabetes and has had it for over 30 years. My sister also had ovarian cancer and had a complete historectamy.
At birth till about 3 years old my daughter would not sleep...no way. If she did she would wake up screaming her head off as loud as she could. She was always a very emotional child, and she is now 10...moody as can be, if she does not get her own way the whole house suffers. If we try to disicpline, she is exploseive. I have checked ADD and ADHD and all the rest with no luck. She is fine at school, so the probablility of those is minimal. Her doctor and her teacher agreed she did not have it.
So what is her problem? I was talking with a woman in grocery store today, and her daughter was exactly the same way at a young age, and was diagnosed with PCOS in her teens.
Another contributing factor I have read in my google searches is that PCOS may come from the fathers side of the family and early balding was a symptom in the father, which her father does have.
My daughter has not started menstrating yet, but it looks like it may be soon. She does get dandruff (another symptom?), but not until recently. She is getting pretty chunky around the middle.
Soooo....with the hormonal mood swings since birth, the gestational diabetes, the dandruff, the chunkiness, the fathers balding, my history of diabetes, my sisters cervical cancer, the spoilt rotten mood swings,...can this all add up to early signal signs of PCOS?
I am going to take her to the doctor, but I am wondering if there is any parents out there of 10 year olds that may have some insight?

Thanks so much

Leanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User
Re: Any parents of young children with pcos here?

i have pcos and i didn't have any of the symptoms that you desribed. and i was not diagnosed with pcos until i was 24 and trying to conceive. i don't think it's even possible to diagnose a child that young with pcos. people who have this condition have trouble with ovulation and since she's not menstruating yet i'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. maybe you can have her doctor do a blood test and check for hormonal imbalances. that might give you a better idea of what she has.
by the way, your gestational diabetes will have no affect on her having pcos. i am pregnant right now and have it and my diabetes education nurse told me that it won't affect my baby in that way. good luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

cricket2008 HB User
Re: Any parents of young children with pcos here?

Im a mother of two girls and i can relate to what your going through with ur 10yr old.Both of my girls have are deffinetly semilar and had the same problems.We were told many times that there was nothing wrong and after never giving up and finally taking them to an IVF clinic and testing them for PCOS we came to find out that is what the have had since the oldest was 9 now she is 16 and the youngest had it since she was 10 and is now 13 even though she had not started her cycle and they are still not regular.They have both been on medication for 3 monhs and we are still trying to get the rite dosage of medication.We will find out more when we go back tp the doctor in september.It takes nothing more than blood work if correct tests are ordered.Hope this helps and best of luck and dont give up!

Closed Thread