It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

karihager1982 HB User
Provera and AF - help?

Hello everyone - I have been here before - just posting some updates & some questions that someone can maybe help me with.

For starters...I was diagnosed as having PCOS on August 2nd, 2006. I was having irregular periods (if that's what you call them) and was spotting most of the time with no real ovulation.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Metformin (500 mg 4x daily), YAZ birth control pills, and 10 days of Provera.

I was told to start taking these medications all at once.

So on August 4th I started the metformin (starting with 500 mg at first), the YAZ birth control pills, and then the provera.

On the second day of the medication, I started to bleed heavily. I knew that the Provera was going to do this, and I expected maybe a week of bleeding. Well after finishing all 10 provera pills, the bleeding became far worse. Having to change pads every hour. It was a horrible mess. I called the doctors office and they said to just keep doing what I was doing, that it was normal.

Since then, I have continued to bleed with no real signs of it going away. I finished my first YAZ birth control pack yesterday 9/10 and started a new pack today 9/11.

This past week it seemed like it was lightening up and almost ready to go away...but now it seems to be coming back with a vengence. I have no idea if this is normal or what. Is THIS supposed to be aunt flo?

On the Yaz bcp's - you take the active pills for 24 days - and then the inactive pills for 4 days. Is this when aunt flo comes? I just feel like this red river will never go away. This is hard for someone who hasn't experienced a 'normal' period in years.

Any help or advice out there?
- Kari

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
(female)

mum2chad HB User
Re: Provera and AF - help?

Hi Kari,

I recentley (09/09/06) have taken Provera because I didn't have a visit from AF for 11 months. I took it for 5 days, 1 tablet a day. On the third day after I had finished taking them (16/09/06), I had AF. It has just about finished now (26/09/06).
I had a hell of a time with AF because it been such a long time since my last one. I had MASSIVE clots and HUGE amounts of bleeding, which resulted in having to change my pads every half an hour coz they where FULL! I took folic acid to keep my iron levels stable, so I didn't end up anemic, and so far I have been ok.
It totally drained my body and I never thought it was going to end but, luckily it is nearly there now and I'm just hoping that AF come next month but not as bad as she did this time!
I would imagine your body is just adjusting to the different meds you are taking, it will sort itself out. If you feel it is not getting any better within the next week, go back to your doctor and explain to them what is going on.
He may put you on Provera while you are bleeding, to reduce the bleeding. Yes that might sound crazy, but, it is also used to stop bleeding, I had to have it after a huge bleed that I had that went for 9 weeks. I took it for about 8 days and it stopped. Was relief I can tell ya!!!
Well darl, I hope this has helped you, let me know how you go...
All the best to you...
****Leanne****

Closed Thread