It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
(male)

spans HB User
PCOS and Pregnancy

Hi to all on this forum, it has proved very useful and genuine, thank you

My wife was diagnosed with PCOS just over five years ago, since then we have been trying for a child for about 4 years, well 3 months ago(while on vacation) we had the most beautiful news, that was my lady becoming pregnant, we had tried most of the available treatments here, and previously she was taking metformin, but she decided to stop taking them about 2 months before our vacation, Natalie has also been trying desperately to keep her weight down too, Natalie went from a size 18 down to a 14, we had almost given up on the thought of conceiving naturally, and we had started thinking about IVF.

One point I would like to raise is that having organic veg on offer seams to have helped a lot, I have also read that washing veg in 1 part vinegar to 12 parts water, then rinsing can also remove a lot of the chemicals in veg too.

Now my request for advice is now that we have managed to pass the magical 15 weeks, is there any advice on how to best go forward, there are many conflicting articles on the net regarding PCOS and pregnancy, some scare the life out of me with statements like PCOS women are 45% more likely to miscarry, and others state that there really is no difference between a normal pregnancy and a pregnancy with PCOS. Err Help
If a anyone could help us that would be great

Last edited by spans; 09-13-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

ninnyfurr74 HB User
Re: PCOS and Pregnancy

Hi I'm Jenni. I'm in a similar boat to you and your wife and came here hoping to find the same answers as you. Wish I could be of more help but could you let me know if you find any? I've read the same statistics as you and I am scared witless that I'm going to lose my baby. I've had two healthy pregnancies in the past but they were before I was diagnosed with pcos. I've also had several miscairrages in the past. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Re: PCOS and Pregnancy

I had my 1st child before my PCOS symptoms even began. With my 2nd child (who took 2 years to conceive with Clomid) I had PCOS by then and my pregnancy that time around was no different. Usually, once you get past the danger zone so to speak, your chances for a miscarriage drastically reduce.

PCOS can cause infertility issues as you know, and can lead to miscarriages, but those miscarriages more often than not occur within the first 12 weeks. With each week that passes after that, your chances of miscarrying continue to reduce. I would say at 15 weeks, there is a great chance of this pregnancy continuing til the end.

Has there been any complications up to this point with the pregnancy? Are there any concerns that the doctors are expressing?

As for that 45% number, I think that is extreme. Either way.......I would say that number applies more for those in their first trimester...........and your wife is beyond that stage now. Best wishes to you.

Closed Thread