It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

heather06 HB User
Consider me...Mrs. Lost

Hi everyone. I'm not a new member to Health Boards, However didn't know about a page for PCOS.

First of all, I'm 19 and was diagnosed with PCOS after visiting about 10 doctors. What took me so long to be diagnosed is I started having my period when i was 9 years old, and it was right for like a whole 6 months, then went out of wack. My mom took me to the first doc and at the age of 9 wanted to put me on birth control. I thought then and there my mom was going to kill him for the idea, so she took me somewhere else. They told her basically that I would grow out of it and to wait until later on and see if things straighten out. I waited, waited, and waited some more, but by the age of 16 I had only had MAYBE 15 periods in 7 years. So once again, i visited the doc, and then got put on birth control and diagnosed with PCOS. I've been on about 10 different ones due to them making me puke because not only did i have high levels of testosterone i had next to no estrogen so taking estrogen when i wasnt used to it made me sick.

Then nextly after the failure of birth control working for 2 years i told my doctor NO MORE, i didnt have a boyfriend, I wasnt having sex, and saw no use of paying out of pocket expenses for something that wasnt helping me.

Now however, I just got married, and the discussion of kids have been arroused and I question the fact of whether or not its going to ever be an option for me. I go months and months without a period and then 2 in the same month, so i dont know. I'm almost 20 years old, and still feel like im 10 sometimes.

I can't be put on metformin because my blood sugar is naturally low, and im scared of the fertility drugs because at the age of 20 i dont want multiples, so I was wondering if there was anyone else out there in my shoes, who couldnt take the metformin, and didnt want the fertility drugs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 02:24 AM   #2
(female)

tryingforbaby1 HB User
Re: Consider me...Mrs. Lost

hi mrs lost - i was you 5 years ago. I'm now 25 and was so confused with the whole pcos thing - hubby and i had always wanted kids but like you i didn't want fertility drugs then or the pill etc but my periods were non existent - i got like 1 a year on my own.... my only advice is (and i can't stress this enough) if you do want kids someday DO SOMETHING NOW! i am now 5 years down the track of trying to conceive 3 years 10 months actively and 2 years + on fertility drugs and IVF. I wish i had known when i was 20 and just starting out what i know now... even if you just start with nautral therapies like accupuncture or something def try to control your pcos and periods - it just gets harder the older you get and it is so much more worthwhile to find out problems while you're younger - i'm so glad i didn't wait till now to start trying for a baby. All the best with your decision

Old 10-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Not every fertility drug has a high risk of multiples. They all have a higher risk than if you weren't on any at all, but Clomid for instance......they start you out on the lowest dosage of Clomid and that has only like an additional 5% chance of multiples...........I can't remember exact numbers, but it is small. Now, if they have to increase the dosage, then the risk goes up, but still not all that high. The highest chance of multiples comes with injectibles, IVF, etc...............moreso than pills.

I myself was on Clomid and got pregnant 4 months later, and I only had 1 baby........plus I have 2 relatives who also had infertility, but they both had IVF. One had a single birth and the other had triplets (but 2 were identical.......so chances are even if she did conceive on her own, she would have had twins anyway....since identicals are not the result of any type of infertility treatment).

Last edited by barton93; 10-06-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #4

defunk HB User

I was diagnosed with PCOS in June. My estrogen/testosterone ratio was approx. 60:50. My Dr put me on a low-carb diet (up to 60 carbs per day) and as of last Thursday my ratio is 130:50. Still not a 3:1 ideal ratio, but my estrogen has more than doubled!

I am not trying to get pregnant (my kids are 16, 14, and 9), but my sister-in-law was treated by the same Dr, and after changing her diet and exercising more she was able to conceive and now has a 1-yr-old daughter.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
(female)

heather06 HB User

Thanks you all for the advice. I will ask about the carb deal recommended, but I know in the past they said no due to me only weighing 110 pounds to begin with.

I also have low sugar levels naturally so i can't take the metformin, and I have a seizure disease which makes me of a higher risk. I believe it is going to make it even harder of a chance to conceive, but chances are looking like we should already begin trying something

Closed Thread