It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

Dancer_Cat86 HB User
Unhappy Treatment for excess hair-does it work?

Hi, I was wondering if the tablets or treatment for excess hair growth from PCOS works, and how much. Does it clear the skin from excess hair or does it just stop more hair from growing? I havent been tested yet to see if I have PCOS, but my main symptom that makes me think I might have it is mild acne on my back, and excess hair on face, stomach, back, neck. Are there any treatments that work in completely reducing the symtpoms of hursuitism.?

I'd be very grateful if you'd be willing to share your experience with your treatment, and how well it worked?Did it have many side effects?

Thanks very much! I'd be very grateful if youd be kind enough to help me!

Thanks

cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
(female)

<3pink HB User
Re: Treatment for excess hair-does it work?

LASER HAIR REMOVAL!!! I get it done on my chin and it works wonders!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

JessiNorth HB User

I haven't personally tried anything other than plucking, but my mom does the lazer hair removal. It has been wonderful for her. She used to have to shave her face everyday and the lazer hair removal has pretty much taken it all away. It isn't an instantaneous cure though and there are some negative things. First you have to let the hair grow somewhat (My mom will usually do it on a Monday morning so she doesn't have to miss more than one day of work. That way the hair can grow over the weekend). The treatment itself is somewhat painful according to my mom and afterwards feel like a bad sun burn. Then because your hair grows in cycles you have to have it done several times. The other down side to it is it only works well on dark hair. So if it is lighter colored or you have gone gray the results aren't going to be as great.

I also found out some information from my doctor today about the hair growth and PCOS. The BC pill Yaz and Yasmin (spelling?) have components in them that help prevent hair growth. I am starting Yaz and will let you know if I find a difference!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

<3pink HB User

You do have to let your hair grow for about 2-3 weeks. Atleast this is what I have to do. But you can shave, just can't pull it from the root. I am a pretty big whimp. It is uncomfortable, but it's well worth the discomfort for the results! I noticed instant results. I could just pull the hairs from right out. I did have to go back several months later for a touch up but nothing like what I had started with. Actually I was able to go about a 1 1/2 years without treatment after my last until I started noticing growth again. But still nothing like to begin with!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
(female)

SweetHome HB User

I tried laser hair removal. It worked but it is not a quick thing. The major problem I was having was that the place changed ownership several times during the course of my treatments. That meant different equipment and different methods. I believe that is why I didn't have the success that I should have had with laser hair removal. It is supposed to be exceptionally good for thick dark hair which is what I have. I don't know if the fact that I am also an African American had anything to do with it because of the dark skin.

It is expensive, I paid for all my treatments in one package price to save money. It took about 18 months to complete. I finished about 10 months ago and my lip and chin are starting to regrow in the same pattern as before the laser treatment.

Perhaps some one can recommend a laser treatment for African American women.

Closed Thread