It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
could this be PCOS?

Hi everyone
ive posted this thread on here before a few months back, but some things have happened since then so am really looking for some advice and opinions.
Ive been trying for a baby for around 9 months, since august last year (had a break of 5 months earlier this year). About a year ago i had some blood tests done and they showed that i wasnt ovulating. I was quite confused as i just assumed i would be. I asked my doctor why, and he just said that some women dont ovulate every month and that it was nothing to worry about, but that i might need something like clomid to kick start me into ovulating. In the meantime, he just told me to carry on trying.
After the break from trying, i started again in july, but still had no luck, so i just had more blood tests done last week, and they've showed that im still not ovulating.
Ive heard that PCOS can be a cause of anovulatory cycles, and wondered if this is true? As i also heard somewhere else that you still ovulate with PCOS but that the ovaries are covered in cysts and the egg is released in a cyst, which is what causes the infertility instead of not ovulating. so im confused
I do have some other symptoms, ive had facial hair appearing on my neck and chin increasingly over the past 2 years, but i am very dark anyway, and have had to wax from the age of 11. So im wondering if that is just my age as im now getting to my mid 20's. I dont suffer with spots or break outs and ive never had any sort irregular bleeding of pain other than when i have my period. My periods are quite painful and quite irregular, between 28-36 days, but normally between 32-36 days, which my doctor said is a symptom of anovulatory cycles. Im a bit overweight, i could probably do with losing about a stone and a half.
Does it sound like i could have PCOS? i get confused over the symptoms as i always hear something different. Can they find out just by a blood test? And what is the usual treatment?
thanks in advance
p.s is it true that ovulation tests are always positive with PCOS? as i was using them and i only got a positive when i thought i was ovulating, due to my CM. The rest of the time they were negative. My doctor said i was probably getting the LH surge but not managing to release an egg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: could this be PCOS?

I have never heard of a blood test for PCOS they usually diagnose it using a trans vaginal ultrasounds (which is not as bad as it sounds and short term). The hair growth sounds like Hirutism which usually Accompanies PCOS but is it's own separate syndrome.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

PCOS symptoms vary from person to person. There are so many symptoms of PCOS and you may have only a couple of symptoms and still have it or all of the symptoms and have it. You should do some research just so you can become more familiar with PCOS and see if you fit the profile of a PCOS woman.

While there is no single test to determine whether or not you have PCOS, there are testing methods that they use to make a diagnosis. Usually, a trans vaginal ultrasound is done like the person above mentioned as well as blood tests to check all of your hormone levels. They use the results from both to determine if you have PCOS or not.

As for treatment, it depends on your symptoms, your doctor, etc. One thing that I would recommend is that you see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. They specialize in hormonal syndromes such as PCOS. Good luck. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
(female)

aprilstorm HB User

i have pcos and have 4 children. two of them are twins! you need to have your hormones checked to see if you have high amounts of testostoren I think thats your tsh but not sure and your estrogen levels. along with a trans vaginal ultra sound. With pcos your testosterone should be high because of a lack of estrogen. I take yasmin birth control pills. ( Very low dose of estrogen) works great.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

keen111 HB User

I havent been diagnosed with PCOS, but i too suffer from all the symptoms possible i think! Hair growth, acne (boils), darkening of the skin, irregular periods, etc etc... I have been to the doctors, who i have to say was unhelpful, she examined me for underlying issues etc, but everything was clear...she said "its possible you have PCOS, but we won't know without tests" Since then, nothing has happened...She hasnt done any blood tests or anything.

I really want to go back to the docs, but in all honesty, i have quite a phobia about going! She did say to go back if my problems persist, which in hindsight i rally should, but i thought first i would try this weight loss thing and join a gym...Which i have, but nothing seems to be shifting fast! I would like any help and advice to relieve some of my symptoms, til i pluck up the courage to go to the docs?! Especially help with the hair growth...cheaper the better!!

Thanks in advance,

K

Closed Thread