It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

Bluebelle1 HB User
Clomid Cycle 2 - need advice

Hi - I need advice please! I was only diagnosed with PCOS about 6 weeks ago. I'm 29, came off BC six months ago (have been on the pill since i was 16), and want to fall pregnant. I had no idea anything was wrong with me so it was all a big shock - I don't display many of the symptoms at all, and am a normal weight. Anyway, I just came off Clomid cycle 1 (100mg, days 3-7) but it didn't work - I didn't ovulate and my progesterone on Day 21 was 2.2 - which is apparently v. low. My gynae says I didn't respond to the treatment at all. I feel betrayed by my body, and very freaked out at the thought that this might not work. Am about to start Cycle 2 and would love some advice:
* Should I ask my gynae to up the dosage - I've read reports that women go as high as 150mg?
*Has anyone had success using acupuncture in conjunction with Clomid?
* Is it normal for there to be such a poor response to Clomid in Cycle 1?
Please help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebelle1 For This Useful Post:
kkubicki (06-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
(female)

emilycaitlin HB User
Re: Clomid Cycle 2 - need advice

Hi Bluebell Welcome

So sorry to hear the Clomid cycle didn't work out this time. I'm 29, have pcos and am also trying to get pregnant. If I remember correctly you can actually go up to higher doses of Clomid than 150mg. I had 8 cycles of Clomid combined with progesterone injections but unfortunately no results. Like you I never ovulated on it and my progesterone only measured .1, even with the supplements. Of course your doctor will know what's best in your particular situation, but you might want to ask about being put on metformin. It lowers insulin resistance in pcos women but has also been found to be beneficial for some dealing with difficulty conceiving. You might also want to ask about switching from Clomid to a drug called Letrozole (generic name femara). This works in basically the same way as Clomid by stimulating ovulation, but it is thought to be more effective than Clomid for women who have pcos. I've never tried acupuncture, but you'll find several women on these boards who feel it's beneficial, I'm interested in trying it. Your doctor should up your dosage of Clomid until you reach the maximum recommended, if you still have no results it will be time to consider other fertility meds. I had 8 cycles of Clomid, but in general 6 are what most women take before moving on. I also feel betrayed by my body but there are all sorts of medicines out there besides Clomid that can help you conceive, so please don't lose hope! Best of luck to you, keep us posted on your progress. em

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
(female)

Bluebelle1 HB User

Thanks! Am talking to her today, so will definitely ask her about all the suggestions below. Will keep you posted!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
(female)

Bluebelle1 HB User

So I can't get hold of my doc! Anyway, have emailed her my questions, will let you know how it goes. Also have found an acupuncturist who deals in infertility and apparently it's meant to have good results... Here's hoping! I can't believe you tried 8 cycles and it didn't work - very brave - I've only been through 1 and I was down in the dumps when it didn't work. I have this feeling Clomis won't work for me either - thanks again for the other drug names. If my doc ever calls me back, I'll ask her about them :-)

Closed Thread