It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

mamma-of1 HB User
Question metformin~ only for getting preg?

Hello everyone~
I have just been diagnosed with pcos, and my gyn gave me a prescription for metformin. I was just wondering if anyone knows if metformin is only to be taken to get pregnant, or if you can take it to just help with the insulin and getting hormones straightend out? Or is just regular diet and exercise better for that? I dont know why but I am really driving myself crazy over all this stuff!! I guess I just dont know what to do, whether to take the med or not, or if im ready to try to get pregnant....and I am really scared of diabetes!

The following user gives a hug of support to mamma-of1:
lizelle (01-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
(female)

confrustrated HB User
Re: metformin~ only for getting preg?

We meet again! When my doc prescribed metformin, he also put me on the pill. His exact words were "now try not to get pregnant!" haha...yeah well I went off the pill for two reasons. 1) We decided we would like to try for a baby and 2) I wanted to know if the metformin REALLY was helping. Well, I ended up having a period being on metformin in January. A lot of women that can lose some weight ( i think its somewhere between 5 and 10% of your current weight) will find that the PCOS will 'clear up' on its own. I haven't been able to lose much weight so I don't know about this. I think if you can take control of your weight you might not have to stay on the metformin. Some doctors just put you on birth control, but that hides the symptoms. I strongly suggest taking the metformin. If you are worried about pregnancy, just take birth control too and you shouldn't have a problem! I'm worried about diabetes too; my grandma has it and I really don't want to deal with that.
Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

AubShot HB User

okay i'm one severe good outcome of metformin either that or i really sad case of an eating disorder. But I was 220 lbs at my highest at age 14 and lost over 120 lbs after being put on it. Now I hover at "norm". It DOES reduce cravings for sugar and brings on periods. I've been off it for two years now. And have had a period pretty normally since... So again. Really good metformin outcome? or really bad eating disorder? nobody knows.... however It does help with insulin resistance and hormones, and therefore the root cause of PCOS....

Old 03-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma-of1;27***00
Hello everyone~
I have just been diagnosed with pcos, and my gyn gave me a prescription for metformin. I was just wondering if anyone knows if metformin is only to be taken to get pregnant, or if you can take it to just help with the insulin and getting hormones straightend out? Or is just regular diet and exercise better for that? I dont know why but I am really driving myself crazy over all this stuff!! I guess I just dont know what to do, whether to take the med or not, or if im ready to try to get pregnant....and I am really scared of diabetes!
Not sure if it can bring on Pregnancy or not. But I have PCOS, and I take Metformin too. Metformin is supposed to boost your metabolism, it keeps you from not eating so much ( which is something that I have a problem with).
Metformin is a good a drug, it does help you have less cravings on sugar, and like another poster said, it does bring on periods.

Don't worry about Metformin, it will help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sari05 For This Useful Post:
kakmode87 (01-05-2012)
Closed Thread