It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

NewfieGal76 HB User
Metformin..Medic Alert Bracelet?

I have just recently been put on Metformin, I actually just took my first pill..on the info sheet they gave me from the pharmacy, it says on there to wear a medic alert bracelet stating that I am taking this product. Does anyone on Metformin wear one? And why should we wear one? Is the drug that serious??

Old 05-10-2007, 02:51 AM   #2
(female)

calijay HB User
Re: Metformin..Medic Alert Bracelet?

I could only come up with 2 possible reasons...and i'm not sure they're even good reasons. But...I believe if you are on metformin you can't take the dyes they use in CT scans...so if there is an emergency where you needed a scan they would need to know? And also, i think metformin could drop your blood sugar and in the case of diabetics it would be important for medical personnel to know that you could be having hypoglycemic-related problems? Just my thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
(female)

TLValiant HB User

From what I have been able to see there are several meds that do not react well with metformin and they want to know if you are this before they give you any new medication. If you are not sure I would definitely either ask your pharmacist or doctor and see if you need to get one. I do not have a medic alert bracelet but I have been off mine for 6 months now because of being stubborn. I am going to ask my endo next month when I see her though to see if I need to start wearing one.

Terry

Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Ditto what TL and cali said. I had a situation where I cut my finger and due to the metformin there were extra precautions needed to ensure that my iron and sugar did not drop too fast and to protect against infection. At the start Metformin can also lead to dehydration.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLValiant View Post
From what I have been able to see there are several meds that do not react well with metformin and they want to know if you are this before they give you any new medication. If you are not sure I would definitely either ask your pharmacist or doctor and see if you need to get one. I do not have a medic alert bracelet but I have been off mine for 6 months now because of being stubborn. I am going to ask my endo next month when I see her though to see if I need to start wearing one.

Terry
Terry, you know that Metformin can decrease kidney function and since I see you on the kidney board just wanted to send you a friendly head's up for your talk with the endo. I wonder if the PCOS is why we get so many stones?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
(female)

TLValiant HB User

2plus,

Interesting thought, that could be...I am going to ask my endo about that when I see her next month... Thanks for bringing that up...

Terry

Old 05-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLValiant View Post
2plus,

Interesting thought, that could be...I am going to ask my endo about that when I see her next month... Thanks for bringing that up...

Terry
If you get an answer, can you post in on the Kidney Health board. I spend almost all my time there.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
(female)

snowy23 HB User

I take metformin tablets.
i have PCOS and i'm at great risk of getting diabetes.
i don't wear a bracelet or a band around my wrist, infact i'd never even heard of wearing one before reading this post.
should i consult my doctor?
also, i'm supposed to take 2 metformin a day, but they left me feeling really sick, so i take one. did anyone else suffer these symptoms?

Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
(female)

TLValiant HB User

snowy,

Yes that is one of the side effects from taking this medication unfortunately. I will tell you this, you do need to take your prescribed dose because if you do not you could end up like me and I am now borderline diabetic. If your side effects are too bad you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. Perhaps they can help you or even offer another medication for you.

I hope this helps!

Terry

Closed Thread