It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

jess25 HB User
Anyone treated PCOS without meds?

My dr thinks I have pcos because I have a dark patch of skin on my neck and no periods in a year. I am overweight and all of this seemed to start after the birth of my 3rd child. I was just curious if anyone else has had any success treating this without medication. I have started using progesterone cream and still no luck with the period, but I have only been on it for 2 months. My dr wants me to take metformin and birth control pills to try to regulate my periods and lesson some of my symptoms. I cannot take the metformin, it makes me extremely sick. Anyone elses experience with this would be wonderful, it feels as though I am running around in circles.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Anyone treated PCOS without meds?

Metformin made me sick to but then the doctor told me to taper onto it slowly and use the XR formula and that helped a lot. They also say following a strict Atkins diet can help - no carbs at all. I have not tried this as i have kidney disease so can't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
(female)

jess25 HB User

I was also wondering if anyone has cholesterol abnormalities from PCOS. I have read that they go hand in hand with PCOS. I currently have good cholesterol and so I was just wondering if this is something I am going to have to look out for in the future.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

My cholesterol has always been high, even when I was a vegan.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

jess25 HB User

see that is what makes me wonder if I haven't been misdiagnosed. I have never had any blood work done to check my fasting insulin levels. I have always had the dark pigmention on the back of my neck ever since I can remember. It is just really frustrating when u don't know what is going on with your own body. I have always had normal cholesterol and tryglecerides(pls forgive the spelling lol) My total cholesterol is 150 and my tryglecerides are only like 75. I just would like some answers, all of this started right after the birth of my last child and I am just at a loss for what it could be. I am not comfortable just taking my dr's word for what is going on and wish I had some definitive testing to back up the diagnosis.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

I had PCOS and had normal cholesterol and trigliceride levels. According to the NIH standards, you need to have Cushing's ruled out so you need a lot more testing to make sure your cortisol is ok. Also get a copy of your ultrasound report (as well as your bloodwork) to make sure that all your tests are consistent with PCOS - in that you have multiple cysts and that your LH and FSH are in the ratios that meet the diagnosis.
I say that as I had Cushing's disease too and it is unusual to have both. The symptoms overlap.
Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
(female)

jess25 HB User

Did a family Dr diagnose or were you going to your OB/GYN? I have just been going to my family Dr and he hasn't suggested me seeing an GYN so I am unsure of who to go to for the testing.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

I have PCOS and have had it for a long time just didn't realize what it was. All of my labs always come back normal. However I have most all of the symptoms and my ovaries are covered with numerous cysts.

I was diagnosed originally by my GP but I'm being treated mostly by my Endo who I saw originally for a different problem.
PCOS

Closed Thread