It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Abdominal, flank and lower back pain with PCOS?

I've had on and off pain/pressure in my right lower back, abdomen and right flank for over 1 1/2 years. Sometimes it's really bad. Have also had irregular cycles for 11 years (since going off the pill) that vary between 28 and up to 55 days, trouble conceiving both pregnancies, and had 4 days spotting this cycle, days 26 through 29 but a 49 day cycle.

I've had an abdominal and pelvic u/s over a year ago that were both normal (except one cyst on my right ovary), and a CTscan last Sept, also normal except my right ovary is almost one cm larger than the left, which I guess is normal. Normal blood work several times.

This last cycle, with the spotting, I've been really broken out. Usually when my cycles are fairly normal I only break out for about the week before my period, but this time I broke out for about 5 weeks.

Does this sound like PCOS to anyone?

Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Abdominal, flank and lower back pain with PCOS?

Everyone is different, some people have labs come back abnormal but not many cysts or any cysts on their ovaries. Others (like me) have normal labs but multiple cysts on both ovaries and most of the symptoms.

Usually however for it to be PCOS you will have many different symptoms. Some of those are:
  • Irregular or No Periods
  • Acne
  • Excess Hair Growth & Abnormal Hair Distrobution (ie chin, moustache area)
  • Weight Gain
  • Oily Skin
  • Skin Discoloration
  • High Cholesterol
  • Elevated Blood Pressure
  • Cysts on Ovaries (String of Pearls)

There are other things that can cause similar symptoms, mainly hypothyroidism. Good luck!
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Re: Abdominal, flank and lower back pain with PCOS?

I had never heard abdominal, flank and lower back pain being caused by PCOS. If that is the case, maybe I am not getting the pain from the kidney stones like i thought. Lately I have been having a lot of pelvic pain, abdominal pain, lower back pain, and flank pain on both sides, and the doctors have been debating whether it was my kidney stones causing it (as the kidney stones are still in the kidneys on both sides). I have PCOS, and have for about 2 years. My periods are so painful. I just want to cry all of the time.
I would ask the doctor to test you with lab results that show PCOS. I can't remember what they are. PCOS also causes some people to have impaired glucose tolerance. I ended up getting diabetes. Birth control can help with some of the symptoms. Maybe you should try that. It doesn't seem to be helping my pain though. Sorry that I can't offer much help. Hope it starts getting better.
Daisy

Closed Thread